Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Is this unavoidable?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    soap
    Participant

Img here

This happens when you resize the window to the put where it’s smaller than the content, then scroll over. I’ve noticed it on a lot of sites. It’s basically the background ending.

Just asking because if it’s able to be dealt with then I’d like to deal with it. If not, no biggy. :)

Thanks

SAiNT
    Participant

yet another problem which would never be faced if people were using tables

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

It may be caused by using width: 100% on something. That means “as wide as the viewport” and hence why it ends when you scroll.

sliver37

Yeah very common problem, and no it’s not unavoidable as far as I know.

Just use a min-width on the body tag (or what ever you have 100% width and the problem is occurring on) equal to (or slightly more than) your page wrap/container.

So if you have the usual 960px width site, with the body repeating 100%, add min-width of, say 1000px on the body for example and the problem will go away.

soap
    Participant

Ah min-width worked. I don’t use width:100% in many cases and definitely not in this one, but it still did the trick. Strange that I never knew that before. I consider myself a seasoned CSSer. :D

Thanks, dudes!

noahgelman
    Participant

yet another problem which could be solved by not using tables
    ;)

ozee

I must say, never really seen that happen before, but another easy CSS fix is there to help out!

soap
    Participant

@SAiNT it wasn’t actually much of a problem. Very easily fixed. I believe that in using tables you will run into many more problems than that.

SAiNT
    Participant

soap, there is nothing more natural and friendly than tables in HTML. :o|

jamygolden

@SAiNT Pretty much the whole world disagrees with you.

sliver37

@SAiNT Is there a table-tricks.com? …nuff said.

SAiNT
    Participant

sliver37, lol, is there a DIV-tricks either?!! :))))

jamy_za, Pretty much the whole world disagrees with you
    well, i really hope so, because that’s exactly what makes me right about it. ;-)

TheDoc

Just to sort of clarify to anyone reading this that is still learning:

There is no way you should be using Tables in the layout of any design. Do not do this. It is terrible practice and will ruin you when you need to accomplish site-wide design changes.

Do not use tables for layout.

@SAiNT
    – this is not the first time I’ve had to clarify something that you’ve stated to be the truth, please don’t flood the forum with anymore ‘table talk’.

SAiNT
    Participant

will ruin you when you need to accomplish site-wide design changes.
    that is a pure nonsense.
    consequently, maybe you should stop flooding the forum with your “anti-tables talk”?

ChristopherBurton, unfortunately for you guys, i’m not joking :))
    thanks for the link btw.

sliver37

@SAiNT

When you have 100+ pages all using tables, and you need to update a certain aspect of it… Well, good luck with that.

We all have our own preferences, but why do you insist on using such archaic methods? (I’m genuinely curious, I want to understand your reasoning, if you don’t mind.)

By the way TheDoc is not only a moderator, but a ridiculously helpful contributer, if he’s flooding the forum with something, it’s generally worth reading. :P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘Is this unavoidable?’ is closed to new replies.