Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Is this the future of Web Design as well?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    andrewthread
    Participant

What do you think will be designing for this type of natural user interface in the near future?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNqs_S-zEBY

Paulie_D

Near future being 5 years….probably not.

I don’t see a huge demand for such interactivity in that period. How often does the average web user need to look at something in 3d like that?

andrewthread
    Participant

I was thinking more of the hand gestures for navigating pages or interacting with data.

Paulie_D

Well we do have hand gestures for navigation…it’s just that they require touching the screen at the moment…lol!

Gestures already exist for Android (http://lifehacker.com/hovering-gestures-brings-touchless-controls-to-any-andr-1235874503).

As for laptops & desktops…perhaps but unless there is some feedback (probably an onscreen cursor) how would you know that you are navigating to the right page.

Ebooks and page turning would seem to be the next logical step in the evolution of non-touch page turning etc. so in those terms I can see it coming in the short term.

Paulie_D

Oh…one last thing…I think it’s much more likely that we’ll be talking to our devices to tell them what to do rather than pointing.

The strides with voice recognition have been enormous in the past couple of years.

I can now search with Google by talking to my browser and it’s pretty damn good…I haven’t used Apple’s Siri option but it’s supposed to be good too.

Once the browser/device learns individual speech patterns (surely only a matter of time) these could be shared across devices as part of the sync process.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.