Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Is there a way to prevent folder directory access with CSS?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

You should cancel your service and move your site to Stablehost. I have used them before and would recommend them as a host.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is there any way to save my email on the Verio server to a new server/host. That’s the troubling part right now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Currently calling various hosts. Not looking good for saving files to a new server given the old one uses legacy. I’m being told that legacy is not compatible with newer servers, so my emails will be lost. I could save them to my computer and transfer them to Microsoft e-mail, but that’s not my business e-mail, so that’s not an option. Verio has really put me in a disastrous situation.

Sorry for the divergence from subject, but unless this is remedied the .htacces matter is moot.

chrisburton
    Participant

What software are you using for emails?

As for Legacy, you could start using a better CMS, like Kirby which doesn’t require a database and is incredibly lightweight.

__
    Participant

I called Verio and it is a PHP issue as I have an old account. It is also a CGI issue. The bad news is that Verio has allowed me to pay $25.00/mo for my site, e-mail, etc to sit on an outdated server and they haven’t upgraded anything on that server in years. Would have been nice to have known that, but I guess they wanted me to pay the $25.00/mo to drive a Yugo when I could have driven a BMW for 1/3 the cost! There is a better service for only $9.95/mo, but they will not transfer my site, email, or anything else to the new server/service. They offer a service to do that of course for ONLY $150/hr. What a joke and what a scam!

That’s completely absurd. Inexcusable. But not unheard of, unfortunately.

Checked out the Legacy CMS website. Seems the last activity they had was in 2011. Does the system need to be installed on the server? or does it simply generate files/scripts? At the very least, you could take your static pages to the new host. How much of your site is plain html?

I’m being told that legacy is not compatible with newer servers

If it runs on php 4, I’m not surprised. Unfortunately, that’s a big upgrade, no matter what host you end up choosing.

Is there any way to save my email on the Verio server to a new server/host.

If you own your domain name, then you’ll be able to keep the email address. The software your use to access the email should have some sort of backup option. If not, get a program like Thunderbird and set it up with your account. If your email supports IMAP, you could simply sync everything now, then set up your email on the new host and sync again. If it’s only POP, you could at least save a copy of all your emails.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings Chris,

I don’t use any software for my email. I’ve always accessed and sent through my control panel. I used Outlook Express several years ago, but it was always a problem, so I’ve used the control panel since.

I’ll have a look at Kirby. Much appreciated!

Best Regards.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings traq,

Had Verio notified me that they were not going to upgrade the server I was on, I would have gone with the newer and cheaper service. At that time it would have likel6y been possible that the two different systems were compatible. Now it’s a bit like trying to get old files and programs created based on Windows 3.1 to work with Windows 8.1.

I have copied my address book and will at least retain that. The 1255 that I need to keep will almost certainly be lost, but it’s a better day today as I have a clear direction.

My 20 plus years with Verio is coming to a close and I remember when customer service existed, but now the corporatists are only interested in $$. I figure they’ve gotten an extra $720 out of me by keeping me in an outdated server instead of alerting me and moving me to a better server and charging $9.95. They don’t care though as one customer quits and another one will take their place. No loss to the company.

I do own the domain name, and several others, so I’ll be able to keep all addresses and extensions.

My only disappointment now is the loss of my email. I’d love to get is transferred to a new server, but that’s the way of it sometimes. I hope to have this remedied early next week so I can get back to the .htaccess portion of this.

Best Regards.

__
    Participant

If you once used Outlook Express, then it is very likely that you would be able to connect to your account via Thunderbird as well. If you can, then you can sync all of your emails, and then you’ll still have them after you switch hosts.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings traq,

Just an update that Thunderbird was installed over the weekend, but I’ve been unable to get it to connect with the server. The consensus is that Verio has been so inept that there will be no way to salvage the email.

Thoughts?

Is there any way to test the .htacces file online to determine if it will work on an updated server. I am looking at a few host companies, and anticipate a switch soon. I’d like to move forward from the .htaccess issue and begin working on the last few pages needed for the new site.

Best Regards.

__
    Participant

Just an update that Thunderbird was installed over the weekend, but I’ve been unable to get it to connect with the server. The consensus is that Verio has been so inept that there will be no way to salvage the email.

Thoughts?

umm… “that sucks”?

Honestly, I’m sorry to hear that. Without the cooperation of your host, I’m not sure there would be any other way to retrieve it. If you still have access, all I could suggest is prioritizing messages and starting to copy+paste the important ones.

Is there any way to test the .htacces file online to determine if it will work on an updated server.

The most obvious solution would be to install Apache, so you can do your own testing. It is not difficult. There are online tools that check simple issues (like basic syntax or simple rewrite rules), but a lot of the more complex issues are obviously difficult to build a generic testing tool for.

However, I think we’ve covered most of the questions you had. The last confusing bits were likely due to the CMS you used, and how your server was (ineptly) configured. What does your htaccess file look like now?

chrisburton
    Participant

I’ve always accessed and sent through my control panel.

Your Control Panel is software. Are we talking about CPanel? If so, there should be some sort of additional software that allows your to access your email. Can you screenshot what it looks like when accessing your email? Of course, do not show any sensitive information.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings traq,

Oddly enough the .htaccess file is now working. Verio must have done something to allow it to function, but it is too little too late. I am going to switch to another host co.

Best Regards.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings Chris,

cpanel is also software is it not?

I am still trying other things and if they don’t allow a save, then I will do a screen grab and post it.

Best Regards.

chrisburton
    Participant

Yes, CPanel is software (that was my point). I’m trying to figure out how you’re accessing your email — if it is through third party software (e.g. Squirrel Mail), you should be able to download your content.

Can you give me a step-by-step of how you access your email? If it is through CPanel, can you explain what you click to get to it?

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.