Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Is my website OK?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    JamesBarnsley
    Participant

Hi,

What do you think of my website?

Is it attractive to potential customers? If not, what can I do to improve it?

James.

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

Whoops!

Thanks, my website is http://www.mutablelabs.com

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

Any ideas then anyone?

KhaiM
    Participant

Can’t really give an opinion on it since it’s just plain HTML.

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

Hi,

Yes and is that a good thing?

Currently I get 200 uniques a month and none of these are turning into leads.

I am wondering whether a re-design of the website would increase conversions.

James.

Birdi999
    Participant

Hi James,

I have spent around the last 10-15 minutes analyzing your site and your code. What drew me in was the Leave a Message Feature. I didn’t really see it coded in. Is it JavaScript?

To answer your question: in my opinion, my initial response to your question “Is my website OK?” I’d have to say that depends on whose perspective you are looking at it through. It is functional and the links work. So from a web designer’s perspective, perhaps it is okay.

What it doesn’t do for me is jump out and grab me. Even after analyzing your code, looking at your site, knowing a little about the business, I’m not totally sure what market you are aiming at. If I were to venture a guess from looking at your languages, I’d guess website design. But, without more analysis, that’s just be a guess.

I looked at your portfolio page, hoping to get a clue from it. And this is what I took away from my first glance. There’s a Coming Soon image. To me that means that your portfolio page isn’t even done yet. Upon delving a little further into the portfolio page, there are paragraphs describing what you have done for clients in the past. Honestly, no one is going to read through a paragraph on the Internet. You have about 5 seconds to grab attention once the user is on your site, or there is fun just a click away. Try to condense paragraphs to a couple of word bullets. Sad, but true, people don’t read anymore much, we skim.

I would also take an honest look at what the site intention is and broadcast that intention on the FIRST or landing page. Don’t bury the information, because users just don’t dig for information on the Internet. For the first page, I’d jazz it up, put a little slide show of exactly what you have produced, perhaps a short video. You can intersperse text in a slide show like in a PowerPoint, once you have their attention. Of major importance to me is to somehow introduce humor into your business presentation, I think that will keep people interested and delving into the other pages.

This is just my take. Hope it helps a little bit. Good luck.

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

Hi,

Yes that does help thank you for your feedback.

James.

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

And yes to answer your question it is Javascript.

Look for the comment that says …

<!– UserPulse Live Chat Toolbar WordPress Plugin 2.2 formid= [email protected] –>

You will see the script include right after it.

KhaiM
    Participant

OK, I can see the website properly now. It seemed the Stylesheet didn’t load on my end.

But anyway, I think the site looks fine. Re-designing it wont really give you more hits if you’re talking about increasing visitor numbers, in my opinion. What I would do is try to work on your SEO and advertising. There’s a lot of competition out there nowadays.

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

Hi,

Ok thanks guys.

James.

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

I have now made some changes to the website.

Tell me what you think.

http://www.mutablelabs.com

Is the new any better or worse?

Birdi999
    Participant

Hi James,

From my perspective as a part-time web developer and web user, it’s a million times better. I know right away what your target audience is. I don’t know how long you want to work on this, but I’ll give you my take from just a glance or two. I did not realize until I looked further that the text on the bottom was a slide show. I don’t know how you are doing your slide shows, but take a look at http://www.wowslider.com/ This is what I use for slide shows. It is so super easy to use, it’s almost embarrassing. My one complaint with this program is that I can’t figure out how to preview the slide show without putting it into the code and looking that way. But, the way it is set up, it only takes a minute or so, so this complaint is minimal. You can get a free version, but it displays a small ad for the company. But, it’d give you a chance to try it out for nothing. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. (I think it is less than $50 USD.)

If it were my site, I’d put the slide show above the Design-Web Development-Web Software-Support area. The only other thing I noticed is that I tried to click on the Design-Web Development-Web Software-Support areas. Again, if it were me, I would make these images clickable. Now, you have their interested and can delve into the specifics of what you do. I don’t know if this would necessarily take up four whole pages. Once upon a time, in html, you could go to a specific area in a page. Perhaps you could set up a page where these links go to that is more descriptive.

I’ve seen some of your other question regarding exposure. Make sure that your metatags read what you do, your specialties, and location if you wish. Do you do social media? If you don’t, start. One BIG thing I’ve learned recently is how to use the Facebook metatags on your URL to increase your Facebook traffic.

Good luck. Great work! If you do nothing else, I think you’ll see immense improvement.

Amber

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

Ok thanks,

I have changed the testimonials and put them in two different columns.

I will work on a bit more.

James.

andreas78
    Participant

sorry, but looks and feels like 100 other wordpress-themes.

the lines are that long, that you do not have fun with reading.

the style at “blog” is very used lately – sorry, i do not like it. moreover, the headlines do not break there.

you should not use so many single js and css files. responsive design is not only that it fits on a screen. you should think about the resources too.

when i look a little around – you want an opinion for a bought layout?

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

Ok, thanks for your feedback.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.