Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] vertical align bottom a block grid in Zurb Foundation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    waffl
    Participant

I am trying to vertical align a number of different sized images in Zurb Foundation using the block grid.

I have setup this jsfiddle – http://jsfiddle.net/waffl/cLc2v/1/ – and have tried setting the parent container of the li to relative and the lis themselves to position: absolute; bottom: 0; which seems to be causing the parent to collapse and thus, display the item way too high.

So amazed that vertical alignment is still an issue that perplexes me so much.

Atelierbram
    Participant

In the near future vertical alignment will be easier to accomplish with flexbox.

http://codepen.io/atelierbram/pen/qxJjL

Atelierbram
    Participant

@waffl Best go with the display: inline-block solution for now. Using Zurb’s block-grid classes (you can, maybe even better, also choose not to, and make your own classes) the CSS would be something like this:

ul.small-block-grid-4 li {
        float: none;
        display: inline-block;
    } 
    img {
        vertical-align: baseline;
        width: 100%;
        max-width: 100%;
    }

Note from @wolfcry911 ‘s demo, in the HTML tab, how the closing and opening list-item brackets are ‘touching</li><li>. This is for removing white-space to prevent the rounding errors that come with display: inline-block in some browsers.

waffl
    Participant

@Atelierbram – You are my hero!!! Amazing, works perfectly, and yes thank you for highlighting the whitespace issue, that is indeed a problem without a very elegant solution as of yet unfortunately.

Thank you so much for the help, this worked perfectly.

realph
    Participant

@waffl @Atelierbram I also ran into this problem and am using the display: inline-block solution, which aligns every image to the bottom. But for some reason, the last item in the row doesn’t show.

So, for example a small-block-grid-4 shows only 3 items in a row, rather than 4.

waffl
    Participant

@realph did you double check the issues mentioned about whitespace causing the next item to push down due to rounding errors with ‘inline-block’?

realph
    Participant

@waffl Ahh, that’s really strange. So I have to make sure my closing </li> and opening <li> are touching?

First I’ve ever seen of that…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.