Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Is it possible to swap order of two words in text?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    steveojm

Using CSS, no js, how would one go about reversing the order of 2 or more words in a sentence? Example, as I intend it:

This is word1 word2.

This is word2 word1.

I wish to display the same sentence (in original authoring order) underneath the first, only maybe changing the class name for the words so that I end up with:

This is word2 word1.

My only containers so far are paras, but I’ll use what I have to in order to get this effect.

Any ideas?

noahgelman
    Participant

Not possible with css. Depending on how you’re delivering the content to the page, you can any of a couple php string modifiers.

If you really want to do it with CSS then you could use this technique: http://jsfiddle.net/joshnh/D63WJ/ (/cc @noahgelman).

Why don’t you want to use JS?

noahgelman
    Participant

Ah, I see. That’s about as round-a-bout as you can get without using php or js

noahgelman
    Participant

Of course the downside of this is several things. Backwards compatibility and text highlighting.

@noahgelman Absolutely. It’s not a great solution at all, hence my question about using JS.

steveojm

Hi guys – I didn’t think it was possible either, but what you provided does indeed work! You are right, of course, this much better approached with dynamic code.

And I should have been more clear, the eventual usage for this is not a web page but a generated ePub file, where I don’t want to rely on any sort of scripting.

While it may be more trouble than it’s worth, I did want to see if I could give CSS a workout before physically reordering words, because the words themselves will change of course but the pattern (oft repeated) will remain the same throughout the ePub book.

wolfcry911
    Participant

Here’s another way – it admittedly has problems of its own, but it might be something to work with.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.