Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Is it possible to select all instances of an element in a class?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    andrew_wilkerson
    Participant

I know it is possible to select all instances of a element in an #id tag.

ex: #generic-id-tag h1

But I have had no luck with doing it with a class.

ex: .generic-class h1

Is there a trick I am missing or is it just not possible. I have tried searching for a solution but since I am fairly new to CSS I might not be using the right nomenclature in my search.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Ash

DogsGhost

.class h1 { } works just as #id h1 { } does.
    Your issue might be with the ‘weight’ of the compound.

tags=1pt
    classes=10pts
    ids=100pts
    inline stlye=1k pts.

So if you have :

Your css for #id h1 { } (weight 101) will always override .class h1 { } (weight 11).

DogsGhost has a point – though it’s officially referred to as CSS “Specificity.” Being ‘fairly new’ to CSS I figured the initial response went far above your head – its an advanced concept. Here’s a nice overview of the specificity concept (and now you’ll know what to search for);

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/07/27/css-specificity-things-you-should-know/

DogsGhost

@aaronsilber
    That is a great article you found, and I’m all for giving as much valuable information to people as possible, but I really wouldn’t call it an advanced concept. In the same class where I learned what css even was, I learned about specificity. I would consider it a fundamental.

andrew_wilkerson
    Participant

Thanks you DogsGhost and aaronsilber. It was a hierarchy issue. I read the article, wiped what I had been working on and recoded it with a better understanding of CSS weight.

For me, it isn’t whether it is an advance concepts or not, it is more that I am teaching myself CSS through building website concepts. Advanced or not, it is more when I organically run into the problem.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.