Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Is it ok that I have not had a job for a year long?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    akurtula
    Participant

Hi

Last year I graduated, since then I have been working on personal projects and the usual stuff to learn and keep up. I have applied for very few jobs but I did not even get and interview.

Then I decided to work up my skills on my own and stopped applying fo jobs. So it has been a year since I have not had a job – but that does not mean I lost interest in web design, as I do work on it everyday (you know like all of you, whether we get payed or not this is what we love).

Now I am going to do something about it. I am going to seriously start applying to jobs or look for charity work

I have a friend that has not been able to get a job (in the same field) for a year. But the difference is that he is been looking for work and I havent.

The bottom line is:

I have a portfolio and three examples of work.

I am confident in fron-end and trying to get better at OO PHP (im also good at wordpress and few other things).

I am going to start blogging with a sercret target to show that I know what I am talking about (I thought hard about the target audience, and I’m just not a blogger, so I am going to write about everything I know)

I am way more advanced than last year, But will the fact that (more or less) had a brake from the job market for a year damage my changes to finding work?

theacefes

I don’t think it will necessarily kill your chances at finding a job but most employers will want to know why you didn’t work for a year.

akurtula
    Participant

Can it be called freelancing when you have no client? Technically (I think) I been doing everything BUT just without getting payed

akurtula
    Participant

So far I done one freelance job, which I did right after Uni, that is where I found that I did not know enough of web design, they asked be to do an commerce, and was unable to do it. then they changed they mind and asked for a portfolio type of site (which I am in my element with those).
    – so because of that I have been too scared of freelance, though I have come a long way since then so I could have another go at it. However the reason to go for a job and not freelance is that I might learn more from the people within the company

I dont like starting my own company, as fare as I know that involves more the web design :) I dont care too much about the business side, i just want to design and code.

Would it be a good idea to spend some more time in looking for charity work and some freelance work in order to build up my work experience.

Also slightly off topic, how to employers react towards disabled people? or would my disability not be taken in consideration if I can do the work

Thanks

akurtula
    Participant

I am in UK, which is more or less the same in that kind of area I guess.

By the way, now that I mentioned this; do I need to mention my disability on my CV also I am sure I dont need to mention it on my about page would I? http://aurelslab.co.uk/about/ – As I am born with it, it does not seem a big of a deal.
    Thanks

chrisburton
    Participant

You could always hire a business manager to do all that stuff while freelancing.

I think if I had to do it over again, I’d work at an agency first and then freelance.

akurtula
    Participant

@ChristopherBurton that is what I think, I do not think I have enough experience to be a freelancer without getting some experience with an agency. But as I am waiting for the full time passion I would not turn down freelance work

robst

I agree with Jeremy—if you’re freelancing and working with clients on the side, it’s not unemployment. Use freelance to your gain…it is great experience!! In fact, I’ve gotten more experience as a freelancer then I did working at an agency doing ONE thing, and only one thing sitting in my little cubicle.

akurtula
    Participant

But so far I have had only one client.

If I am not successful in getting a job or a client are the following good options as “recognised” experience:
    – is charity work good
    – do personal projects have any value in a portfolio

akurtula
    Participant

That is great to hear. Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.