Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Is html5 ready yet!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sideways

I see so many people using html5 for there websites and I was just wondering how they get it to work on all browsers. I know you can use the different webkit things (I don’t know what they are called) to get it to work in all modern browsers but what about older browsers? I know some people have used java script to make it work but I can’t seem to figure out how they did it. If some could please enlighten me on how they got their html5 website to work on all browsers that would be great.

SgtLegend

HTML5 is still in it’s draft spec so for the minute it’s technically not an official per say, however if you wish to use it that’s perfectly fine as the common method of action to take is to make your website gracefully degrade as feature support becomes a faint list in the distance.

Senff
    Participant

In my opinion, the basics of HTML5 (new elements such as

, etc.) work fine in all current browsers, and to make it earlier versions of IE recognize (and enable to style) them, Modernizr or HTML5shiv is needed.

These libraries do no make the more fancy elements (such as or ) fully functional, though.

sideways

Ok, I will just stick with the xhtml version of my websites for now. I feel like using HTML5shivs and stuff like that defeats the whole purpose of html5 (that is making coding less complicated).

I have heard some rumors saying that html5 will not be ready until 2022 is that true or just speculating.

Senff
    Participant

HTML5 will not be fully, 100% spec’d out until then, but now all (modern) browsers are supporting it already. As a matter of fact, HTML4 is not even fully spec’d out.

To use Modernizr or HTML5shiv is not a lot of work, it will take you a few minutes to include it in your web site and then you can code with HTML5 right away.

If you want to get ahead, start using HTML5 now.

chrisburton
    Participant

You can use the doctype without using the new elements or a shiv.

SgtLegend

@ChristopherBurton is 100% correct, just because you use the HTML5 doctype doesn’t mean you can’t use XHTML 1.0 or 1.1 standards, personally i like to use HTML5 with XHTML 1.0 Transitional standards as they go hand in hand with each other.

dfogge
    Participant

some of it is, and some of it isnt. using sites like http://caniuse.com/ and http://html5please.com/ you can make educated choices about which aspects of html5 and css3 that you’d like to implement on your sites, and how to set up fallback scenarios for older browsers.

in my opinion, if you’re waiting for the spec to be 100% complete before using any of it you are missing out on some pretty awesome features.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.