Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Is Dreamweaver redundant?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Paulie_D

The Design view is pretty awful usually but for WYSIWYG the Live view (being webkit) isn’t bad.

The “Live Code” view offers something that, AFAIK, is unavailable in any other offerings.

Like I said, it’s all about choice and finding out what suits the individual.

grizzam

I prefer to use dreamweaver for everything. I can just as easily use other editors but the code hinting and color scheme for javascript / php / html / css / whatever is great. I recently rebuilt the full framework for Hollywoodnose from scratch in about five days on dreamweaver. Would of taken longer on any other text editor.

jamygolden

@grizzam I’m very sure the default Dreamweaver colour scheme can/has been duplicated for other text-editors. Also, the code hinting for SublimeText2 is done the same way, except Sublime comes with tab hotspots too.

open a CSS file and type “body { col” and then press CTRL/CMD + SPACE

Or (javascript file)

“document.ge” + and then press TAB

Dreamweaver doesn’t have anything special except it being a resource-heavy Adobe product.

Edit: Autocomplete suggestions (Triggered by CTRL/CMD + SPACE) should pop up automatically with the new update

sheepysheep60
    Participant

I like that when you hit

jamygolden

@sheepysheep60 SublimeText2 – ALT + . closes the open HTML tag.
    CMD + ALT + . in OSx ( I think )

sheepysheep60
    Participant

@jamy_za awesome! Do you work for them?! : )

jamygolden

@cnwtx http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp – It costs $16 but at least you can try it out before hand to see if it’s worth it. You should check out some of the different shortcuts, really cool: https://gist.github.com/1207002/

@sheepysheep60
    no I don’t haha! Just an evangelist for products I think are absolutely awesome :p

@jamy_za Have you updated yet? The fuzzy logic used on the new autocomplete is fantastic! For instance, if I want to type box-shadow, then typing ‘bs’ is enough to bring it to the top of the list.

pgtips

Site definition, file renaming and link updating is a very useful feature in Dreamweaver but I do find that it is pretty hard to justify the cost based on the minimal benefits over Sublime Text or Notepad ++.

dfogge
    Participant

the only thing i ever use dreamweaver for is setting up tables for html email layouts, otherwise i prefer to do everything in sublime.

chrisburton
    Participant

I wouldn’t suggest which is best. I think it all comes down to personal preference.

My opinion is that DW is quite heavy for just simple frontend development.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.