Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Introduction + Feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    antonio_89
    Participant

Hi all!

I recently started venturing into web design and development and I am currenly loving every minute of it. I thought it might be a good idea to get involved in the community, so I hop this intro isnt annoying anyone.

Anwho, I am currenly at Uni(Bournemouth,England) doing a course in Interactive Media. I am quite new to the whole design/development scene(3-5) months but like i said, I love, love love it.

I recently finished working on my first “real” project for a family member. I say finished but it is still a work in progress and i hope to have it finished within a week max.

Check it out, let me know what you think:
    Its a brochure website which aims to inform potential customers/visitors of the company’s services(building).

http://www.vvsinteriors.com

TheDoc

Looks great for a first project! You seem to have the overall structure down. I would focus on whitespace and typography next.

It looks pretty good, I must say.

One thing I would change is the size of the menu, it is very prominent now.

antonio_89
    Participant

Thanks for your replies guys!

@Abel I will keep that in mind and will experiment with the menu! The layout breaks in IE6 but I dont think thats too much of a problem now these days is it? It works great on IE7 & 8(WIN).

Don’t worry about IE6, people who are still using it should not be allowed on the internet.

TheDoc

Each project should have market research done. If your client’s user base is 30% IE6 then you obviously can’t ignore it.

Just because it’s outdated doesn’t mean people aren’t forced to use it.

antonio_89
    Participant

Yeah I agree.. People that still use IE6 should be banned from the net.

Though TheDoc also has a point. I think I’ll just tweak it around so that it renders in IE6 as well.

Just to be on the safe side :-)

What TheDoc said is true, make the site for your audience. But take a look here.

Unless you’re audience is from China, South Korea or India, I think it is time to drop support for the browser even the maker want everybody to stop using.

You can put the banner from that site on your site ofcourse, to support the cause.

TheDoc

As an example to further my point, where I am located a lot of the government agencies still require IE6 because of some of the outdated intranets that they are running. Therefore, if I were creating a website for a government organization I would most certainly need to support IE6 in some fashion.

Remember that ‘supporting IE6’ does NOT, by any means, mean pixel perfect – just a functional website. Will they get rounded corners? No. Will they get neat CSS3 things? No. Etc etc. They just need functionality.

OniLinkCR

It looks solid on the structure, but remember, great sites are composed of details. I would add perhaps some transition effects with CSS 3 or with jQuery for the images at the top.

Try this:

http://buildinternet.com/project/mosaic/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.