Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Internet Explorer Styling Problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jlau

I’m having a problem with the website i’m developing @ http://unit44.byethost33.com/clients/

In all other browsers apart from internet explorer 8 (I haven’t tested other internet explorer versions), the links that have more than one word and are at the end are just on one line. However in IE, they seem to go on different lines and pushes down each row. Does anyone know how to make the IE way of styling similar to webkit or firefox?

TIA

J

TheDoc

Hmmm, looks exactly the same in IE8 to me.

jlau

really? I’m getting a weird result in IE8. Could it be something else? because its working in all other browsers fine

TheDoc

Are you using a standalone version of IE8 or some sort of program/service (like Adobe Browserlab, etc)

jlau

pretty sure its a normal IE8. it came with my dell computer

jlau

Ok nvm. I seemed to have flicked a setting that said ‘compability view’ in IE8. Not sure exactly what it is, but does sound like a safe mode of some sort and must have been creating that different styling

salimos

Hi Jlau,

Can you try removing the float:left from your links Style a.client-jump

I saw the problem in Compatibility Mode IE7

Hope this will help,
    SaLiMoS

jimsilverman

Compatibility Mode forces IE8 to render as if it was IE7, so this problem is visible to all users on IE7.

the problem is, when setting “float:left;” it’s also applying “display:block;” which is causing the issue.

what i’d suggest is removing the “float:left;” and using the following css:

display:inline-block;
    *zoom:1;
    *display:inline;

inline-block for modern browsers, inline-block hack for IE7 and lower. this should be a more compatible way of achieving the effect you’re going for.

jlau

I haven’t tried what you said yet. But the reason I was using float left is that I wanted every client name that started a new line to be the start of their name and not the second or third word, because I’m using a background image to make the bullet point separators.

Any ideas how to hack it with float left?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.