Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Internet Explorer, older version compatibility

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dalecooper

Hi again (in another section though :P)

Still with this website, I want it to be compatible with older versions of ie and firefox. I used modernizr to achieve this, but it doesn’t seem to work.

Do you know how to have it render properly on those browsers, please ?

TheDoc

Well, I’d start by getting rid of those tables, but that’s a whole other story…

As for why Modernizr doesn’t seem to be kicking in, I’m not sure. You could start by addressing some of these errors.

jamygolden

As for Modernizr not working properly – What exactly do you want it to do that’s not happening?

dalecooper

What’s wrong with using tables for the content ? Should I use another method ?

For instance (and I think this is the major issue), I would like the CSS background to render at all with old ie and ff versions.

dalecooper

I got rid of the tables (thanks, it’s better now), but it doesn’t give me my background back on ie <=8 ^^

jamygolden

I don’t know if you understand what Modernizr does, but it won’t “fix” anything for you aside from adding support for HTML5 elements. Modernizr gives you the ability to target browsers with and or without certain functionality.

dalecooper

Yes I do understand, and I thought it would also give support to CSS3 rules, and particularly the ability to apply more than one background to my . I figured that out yesterday and understood that I have to change the way I coded the wooden chest that decorate the menu in order to have my background displayed on ie <= 8 and ff 3...

jamygolden

Have a look at CSS3 PIE (css3 properties and values) and IE7 JS (css3 selectors). I know CSS3 Pie supports multiple backgrounds – but I haven’t tried it out myself.

dalecooper

Thanks you, I think I’ll need it !!

Btw, I rewrote all my codes so now almost everything works as expected.

One background at a time and some absolute values, now I have to make sure it works for all resolutions, taskbars included^^

dalecooper

Hi again, it seems my problem is still here: in ie8 my layout is all messed up!

I rewrote all the code, cleaned it just today, and the next thing I know: ie8 wasn’t reading my page correctly!

Could someone tell me if he can reproduce the issue, and if so, why does it behave that way ??? I mean, all other browsers understand what I want them to show^^

(btw, the issue is obvious if it happens to you too: the content is just placed half way outside the screen, to the bottom)

Please, ’cause I think I will not be able to find the issue, not with my skills, not with all that has to be taken into account!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.