Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Internet Explorer Image Gallery Hover Issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    EJMD
    Participant

Hi!

I’ve built a website for my dad’s company using the amateur knowledge that I posses. Everything was fine (and we were all proud) until I started getting complaints. I quickly found that visitors using Internet Explorer (Safari and Firefox work just fine) were experiencing a strange issue in the Pictures section of the site.

The problem is when the visitor hovers over the image, all of the thumbnails are pushed away instead of remaining where in their place when the larger image is displayed, causing an odd and frustrating thumbnail flickering.

I’ve been perusing many forums as well as my CSS books in an attempt to solve this problem, but this problem seems somewhat unique and I think I’ve reached the end of my rope, thus was looking for a bit of guidance.

The web page is http://www.henryswalltowall.com/pictures.html.

Some of the relevant code is as follows.

From the StyleSheet:

div.gallery { position: relative; }

.img_box a:link {
    font-size: 12px;
    font-family: Verdana;
    color: #3B3B3B;
    z-index: 1;
    }
    .img_box a:hover {
    color: #00868B;
    text-decoration: none;
    position: static;
    }
    .img_box a:visited {
    }

.img_box span {
    display: none;
    text-decoration: none;
    }

.img_box a:hover span {
    zoom: 1;
    display: inline;
    border: 1px solid #696969;
    background-color: #ededed;
    padding: 5px;
    position: fixed;
    bottom: 0px;
    left: 50%;
    z-index: 50;
    }

From the page itself.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated.

Paulie_D

The link is slightly wrong (there’s an extra full stop in there). It’s http://www.henryswalltowall.com/pictures.html

Paulie_D

I suspect that this might be an issue related to the table you have used to construct the site (which is not necessarily the most up to date way to go) AND the JS you are using to increase the size of the image.

I appreciate that the site works in more modern browsers but it does look as though IE has a problem with it.

filipeb

Add a doctype to the page. You’d be surprised just how many ie funny stuff is fixed with that.

EJMD
    Participant

I apologise for the incorrect link. Not sure how that happened.

Yes, I realise the table-construction of the site is somewhat out of style; I’ve updated my other website to use a purely CSS layout – I simply haven’t done anything with this particular one, and I probably should.

I added

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

to the top of the page and it seems to have solved the problem! Not sure if I used the correct doctype; that’s something I obviously need to read up on.

Thanks so much for your help.

filipeb

Glad to be of service :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.