Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS integrating wordpress latest posts into home page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cjk

hi,
    I am looking for opinions and ideas on the best and simplest methods to accomplish the following;

I currently have a wordpress installation at mydomain.com/blog and a simple home page with logo, some pictures and an "enter" link to the blog. I have a number of posts and several static pages in wp. I would like to expand on my static pages and take many of them outside of wp. I wish to keep using so for my "news" blogging but would like to create a sidebar on my new homepage (and other static HTML/css pages) that has a dynamic update of the latest 5 or more blog posts.

I am sure that there is more than one way to skin this cat. What would you do, and why?

Cheers!
    Chris

cjk

Hey Chris,
    Simple Pie rings a bell. Didn’t you include it in one of your screencasts?

Cotton

I’ve always had good success with magpierss.

aps223
    Participant

I am a total wordpress newbie, but am trying to build my first theme from scratch. I am trying to figure this Simplepie plugin out from video #41, but am pulling my hair out.

When i added the code from the video to my index.php, I get this message:

A feed could not be found at http://localhost:8888/wordpress/feed/

Does anyone have any ideas? You help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to ask for more info if you think it will help. I am testing my theme locally with MAMP. Not sure if this is relevant, but I am still at the stage where I the only pages I am working with are index.php and style.php. I haven’t parsed the theme into header, footer, sidebar, etc.

pab

yeah like Chris said, it’s because you are working locally,

that being said it should still display but you will have some parse errors,

make sure you downloaded all the right plug ins for it to work.

check out the simple pie site there’s some info on the subject.

aps223
    Participant

Thanks for your help Chris and Pab. I will attempt to test online tomorrow and see what happens.

keithtrx

Ikthius,

Incredibly useful post.

Thanks

Keith

cjk

Hey Ikthius!

Sorry for the delay, I got distracted with other projects and just got around to fiddling with my site again. Your reply was extremely useful and helpful. That was the ticket! Worked like a charm. Much appreciation!

If anyone would like to see how that all worked out, http://www.krowchukdressage.com is the site.

Best regards,
    Chris

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.