Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Installing WP into a folder (not a subdomain)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lucas572
    Participant

Hi all!

Bit of a awkward one here. I’ve built a client website, and want to test it on their live server before the official hand-over.

Annoyingly, he doesn’t have any subdomains on his hosting account. So, I’m trying to install WP into a folder on his site.

But, I get the impression that I can’t have siteurl.com display his current (old) website, and siteurl.com/wp display a whole new website without affecting the other?

I’ve created the wp folder in the root of his server and moved all of the files across, created a new DB and imported all of the tables. Changing the Site URL and Home table rows in the wp_options table to siteurl.com/wp.

This didn’t work for some reason, I’m assuming because WP is expecting the index.php to be in the actual root of the site rather than inside a folder?

chrisburton
    Participant

The folder is considered a subdomain. You have to copy (do not move!) the index.php and htaccess file and put it in the root, I believe. There are numerous tutorials on this.

Alen
    Participant

Wait. Don’t copy anything!

So the clients current website is at root…

/root

and you want to test, not deploy… so create folder inside root

/root/wordpress

install clean copy of wordpress, then import all the content/files/theme for testing

when you’re ready to deploy, it’s just a matter of changing few things… you might also want to protect /root/wordpress folder with .htaccess so that it’s not accessible to public.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.