Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Installing WordPress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scott Hamel
    Participant

I have a web site and of course don’t want to mess anything up when I install WordPress. Is WordPress like Dreamweaver? The install said something about the WordPress database. In WordPress, would I access my database just like I do now? Is WordPress’s database just for its own functionality? And about the subdirectory issue. My site is already in a subdirectory. Thanks for any advice as I’m really curious about WordPress and getting tired of deamweaver. Thanks -Scott

Wordpress is actually a CMS, so I guess it could replace Dreamweaver for you in a way but it doesn’t work the same. WordPress adds some tables to your database so it can save the content you put into it. Where as Dreamweaver is a program locally that generates static HTML files. WordPress lives on your server. So when you would want to add/change stuff on your website you would simply login to the admin panel of WordPress and make changes. You will be eliminating the step of making the changes locally in Dreamweaver and uploading the new files.

As you can see this is a bit more of a complicated topic. I would recommend reading up on WordPress and making sure its the solution you need for your project.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Getting_Started_with_WordPress

Scott Hamel
    Participant

Thanks man, did some reading and set it up using xampp locally. So I’m just starting now. Thanks a lot for the link, made perfect since. -scott

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.