Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS initial view fits on screen?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    timaging
    Participant

Hi,

I’m starting a new site and it’s ok on desktop, but in portrait mode, the site doesn’t view the entire page, and I also can’t pinch and zoom at all.

I have height and width set to 100% in both and , hoping that would do it and it’s not working

anyone have an idea?

http://www.sciencebranding.com/site_2013/index.html

thanks-
    Dave

Paulie_D

You have “minimum-scale=1.0” in your meta declaration in the head.

Could that be it?

Paulie_D

Try

That might do it.

timaging
    Participant

Hi Paulie-

I just tried that and it didn’t appear to change anything. I can still see it ok in landscape, but not portrait. I can’t even pinch to zoom, which is the part that bothers me too-

http://www.sciencebranding.com/site_2013/index.html

thanks!!
    Dave

Paulie_D

You still have ‘user-scalable = no’ set in that meta.

Try removing that.

timaging
    Participant

well, it springs and bounces now, but it still doesn’t fit to width when you are in portrait mode.

thanks!!
    Dave

If you were to scale to device width in portrait mode things might get pretty tiny if you’re viewing on mobile (which I’m guessing is the case if you’re talking about viewing in portrait). While not exactly the answer to your question, something to think about is using some percentage based widths and maybe some media queries to make your site a little responsive. Just a different, albeit more complicated approach to solving your problem.

-Brian

timaging
    Participant

I hear ya but the client had a specific width in mind and didn’t want to go responsive, which I had originally suggested.

Maybe there’s a JavaScript solution since it doesn’t appear it can be handled with CSS or meta tags?

Paulie_D

>Maybe there’s a JavaScript solution since it doesn’t appear it can be handled with CSS or meta tags?

I don’t think this is going to help you.

Standard portrait mode is, what 768px? You can’t cram 1200+ fixed px into that.

Sounds to me as though mobile wasn’t a requirement for the client especially as they ‘didn’t want to go responsive’.

If mobile **was** a requirement then it sounds as though ‘mobile first’ might have been the best option.

timaging
    Participant

I found the solution.

just gotta put in the total div width and it works.

Dave

timaging
    Participant

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.