Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Image display prob in ie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    DataDude

Howdy,

http://www.unioncitycc.org/final.html

I am putting the finishing touches on a site I’m doing for my Church, and am pleased with the layout & how it displays in cross-browser, however, ie throws a glitch in the mix with two things… 1) an image at the bottom of the page is not displaying, 2) column height is ignored.

[img]http://www.unioncitycc.org/images/ff1.jpg[/img]
    This is the page layout as it is intended to be displayed.

[img]http://www.unioncitycc.org/images/ie1.jpg[/img]
    In this image, the bottom of the page is missing the gradient, and, ie doesn’t seem to play well with my column height. I can compensate for the column, but am puzzled about the missing image.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

DD

TheDoc

IE doesn’t accept min-height and min-width.

http://www.dustindiaz.com/min-height-fast-hack/

DataDude

Doc,

I’m aware that ie doesn’t accept min/max width properties. I’ve employed a separate css file to accomplish what I needed per the width, but it never occurred to me to try the same for the height attributes… tried it & it works.

Thanks!

However, I’m still looking for someone who can offer any ideas on why my image doesn’t appear at the bottom of the page in ie, per the screen shots.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

DD

TheDoc

I’m not sure why it’s doing that in IE7, somebody else probably has a quick fix for you. I assume it has something to do with the positioning, but it’s too difficult for me to quickly debug in IE7.

By the way, you’ll poop your pants if you open this design up in IE6, which if it’s a church I’d imagine many of the people will be using.

DataDude

Doc,

Ack!

I don’t have a single machine running ie6 anymore.

I’d like to see what you’ve mentioned (clean shorts are at hand if needed). Can you shoot a screen-shot for me?

Thanks
    DD

AshtonSanders
    Participant

I got IE6 and IE7 on the same comp

Here’s IE6:

[img]http://www.websitesinaflash.com/images/temp/unioncity.jpg[/img]

PNG’s don’t work in IE6 without the PNG hack. Are you using Opacity on all of those images? Why PNG? I’d just use JPEG for smaller file size.

DataDude

Ashton,

I’m running transparency, but it wouldn’t be an issue to drop to a jpg… I’ve got some Photoshopping to do though, since several images employ trans. I’ll give it a try.

The photos I’ve got in the header (right side) are plugged in with a java that I’m using to create a random appearing upon page load… they are also png, (as are the banners along the right side) so it seems odd that they appear correctly while the lower page element doesn’t.

As for the ie multiple install… I’d read that it wasn’t possible/productive on a Vista machine, and, unfortunately, every machine I own is Vista except the MAC, which is running xp. I’m going to assume that what Doc mentioned before is a float drop, which I’ve seen before. I’m going to try to find a suitable work-around for the issue so that I can finish this job.

Since I’m flying blind in ie, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
    DD

DataDude

Ashton…

OK, for some reason your screenshot didn’t load when I posted the first reply… my bad.

So, I see two issues:
    1) Transparency… fixable. You mentioned a hack, so I’ll check that out before going into jpg.
    2) Right side… issues with my remote navigation. Not sure why only a couple seem to be causing an issue while the others display OK.

I’m sure I stand alone here when I say that I really don’t like M$.
    ;)
    DD

AshtonSanders
    Participant

yea… I don’t even have Vista… still got XP everywhere…

"DataDude" wrote:
    1) Transparency… fixable. You mentioned a hack, so I’ll check that out before going into jpg.

Yes, I’ve never had to do it, so don’t have any good tips. Apparently it’s pretty easy though.

"DataDude" wrote:
    2) Right side… issues with my remote navigation. Not sure why only a couple seem to be causing an issue while the others display OK.

Ah yes… those images on the right nav are very broken… If I hover my mouse over them, the entire page disappears… I’ve never seen IE6 die so hard lol. (sorry, I shouldn’t laugh… bad manners.)

"DataDude" wrote:
    I’m sure I stand alone here when I say that I really don’t like M$.

Like a pillar of solitude. ;)

Sorry I can’t help more on this right now =/

TheDoc

Ashton is displaying a different shot of what I am in IE6:

[attachment=0]screener.jpg[/attachment]

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Yea, that’s the screenshot I get after you hover over one of the sidebar items (at least last night).

DataDude

Doc,

Wow… your shot & Ashton’s are way different. I haven’t had a chance to touch this again since my last post, so I’m really going to have to put some time in on it this weekend.

The margin -30000 is to fake my column height into filling the page, even if the columns are filled with content. It doesn’t seem to be an issue in the other browser versions, but I’m puzzled with why your shot & Ashton’s are so different.

I’ve decided that a rework of the images into jpg format, and a consequential rework/trimming of the code will resolve the format & display issue… I think. Removing some of the divs will help clarify the muddy css I’ve created.

I work from a graphic standpoint, and am notorious for Frankensteining the css to make the design work… not exactly textbook, I’m sure. I’m sure it would work out better if I really knew what I was doing.

Thanks
    DD

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "DataDude" wrote:
    Doc,

Wow… your shot & Ashton’s are way different. I haven’t had a chance to touch this again since my last post, so I’m really going to have to put some time in on it this weekend.

"AshtonSanders" wrote:
    Yea, that’s the screenshot I get after you hover over one of the sidebar items (at least last night).

You probably just didn’t see the second page ;)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.