Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design I'm very confused

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    smallrabbit
    Participant

i need so much help i don’t even know where to start. i am working on a web page trying to work on my html/css and I’m botching it up horridly. placement is kicking my butt. i move one thing in place and the next thing does not want to go into the vacant space. on top of that i uploaded it onto a free site so that i can try to get some help and it seems that the logo pic i have won’t show :(yes the path is correct)
    can anyone assist me in this mess i am trying to understand?
    http://www.joanie-rwd.host22.com that should link to the site its uploaded on.

I.m.learning
    Participant

The very first thing I do is visit https://validator.w3.org/ to see if there are any issues, I enter you URL in the “Validate by URI” and notice 13 errors.

You can always check to see the source code of websites by using Developer Tools (F12) or by right-clicking the page, then left-clicking “View source.” This shows how that page was created. Such as what order of tags go and what goes in each section.

You have your paragraphs set at 80px; that’s HUGE!!! This means all text inside the p tags will be 80px.

p tags are paragraphs, no matter how many spaces you place into your code, without a p tag, it’s all one sentence. So, in your code where you used enter to separate your lines, to the browser, it’s just one space.

Some people might frown upon using the break tag; that coders should use the p tag or setting margins/padding/etc. in CSS.

Some of your errors will be noted when validating, such as the div tag inside the head tag and some attributes missing quotes.

I’m not noting all the issues, I’m giving you enough to work from. Just from what I stated will take some time to fix. There are other things that could be added, but let’s not confuse you any more than necessary.

I just noticed this. You have div id=head missing quotes as I stated then header

but to close it, you have it reversed, [this might be stated in the validation]. You are missing an opening div tag.

One thing you might want to think about is doing one section at a time. Once you like the way the first item is, move on to the next. Then you know the next item you add is the issue and can work from there until you are satisfied.

If you have any issues from there, isolate that code and come back to provide us with a more detailed idea of what your issue is. But note that a lot of issues can be solved by searching online.

Beverleyh
    Participant

it seems that the logo pic i have won’t show :(yes the path is correct)

Your logo filename is “logo.JPG”, but your markup uses “logo.jpg”.

Note the letter-case for the extension. It’s important on Unix/Linux hosting environments and has to match exactly (in the filename and extension). However on Windows systems, letter-case doesn’t matter so that’s why a path may work on your local Windows computer, but breaks as soon as you upload the files to your web host.

i move one thing in place and the next thing does not want to go into the vacant space

Can you give an example? Two different comparison pages so we can see the differences in your code attempt, and maybe also an image of how its supposed to look.

You have div id=head missing quotes as I stated

This is perfectly valid. But, you should wrap multiple attribute values in quotes/apostrophes – a single attribute, as long as it doesn’t contain certain characters (tabs, spaces, “, ‘, `, =, <, >) can be left unquoted. More info here https://mathiasbynens.be/notes/unquoted-attribute-values

Re: spaces, tabs, new-lines/carriage returns
    No matter now many of these you put in your markup, if they sit adjacent to each other (no other characters to break them up), they will be interpreted as a single space in the browser. So;

Hello                           to you.

And

Hello

to                        you.

And

Hello
    to
    you.

Will all render as

Hello to you.

in the browser window. Demo http://codepen.io/anon/pen/eBvXLK

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.