Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other If a planned website will be active in 5 years, should I build it now?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    iizag
    Participant

Hi, so I was thinking about this tonight, and wanted to know about any advice anyone had to offer. So I am going to take my entrance exam this year to go to Dental school, so I should be getting in this year if everything goes as planned. Well dental school is 4 years long (If I dont plan to specialize) if not its 6 years long.

So I am reading many books during my spare time about dental marketing etc. and was thinking that I would like to start making my logo (I already have my practice name and domains bought since 2013 lol!), marketing plan, website, start pre making articles ETC. But all this will be launched in around 5 years when the plan is to buy and open my own practice.

Well just for the website I would be buying a theme and then over customizing it in WordPress so it would become my own unique custom theme.

Is it a good idea to start now?, because that is what I really want to do so I can peacefully take a lot of time and plan and research every aspect of everything on the site. I mean, my only concerns really is that in 5 years webdesign changes completely or perhaps my theme stops being supported, but then I was thinking that I could just transition to a new theme faster and just rework any of my custom CSS and have the look and everything already set. or are there more concerns in terms of the website that i am over looking?

What are your opinions?

Paulie_D

5 years is a looooonnnng time in web developement.

Building it now seems redundant if it’s not going to be deployed for 5 years.

Who knows what broswers will be doing in that amount of time, what CSS4 will bring, HTML6 (?)…CSS Grids, full flexbox integration.

The list of things it practically endless.

4.5 years from now, start planning based on what the state of play is at that time and what devices exist then…3D holograms? :D and use fallbacks appropriate for the browser level you want to support.

Nothing really new there, just wait the 4.5 years.

Otherwise you’re building a biplane when the jet is on the horizon.

iizag
    Participant

Lol yea I guess a lot could and will change. I guess it will be better for me to just type everything In multiple word documents so the content can be done but not the designs and web implementation for now.

nkrisc
    Participant

No harm in creating much of the content now, but if you’re like me, you’ll look at that in five years and think, “I wrote that?? What was I thinking??”

iizag
    Participant

lol , well I can work on patient letters etc for marketing now, and I dont think I will end up changing it a whole lot down the line since its all coming from a mix of marketing books I am reading now and real world letters that are currently used etc. And if content ends up being changed Im sure the majority of ” the backbone” of the content will remain the same. I just really want to apply some free time into making a solid super thought out plan and site and marketing map.

chrisburton
    Participant

Well just for the website I would be buying a theme and then over customizing it in WordPress so it would become my own unique custom theme.

I never understood this point of view. Unless you’re completely redesigning the theme, I wouldn’t consider that “unique”. That’s another topic, however. I do agree that technology in five years will be drastically different. I wouldn’t worry about the choice of CMS or any of those specifics right now.

I would start thinking and continue to think about making your services incredibly easy for clients. Set yourself apart from the others in a way that is outside of current practices. Be innovative. Unique.

iizag
    Participant

“I never understood this point of view. Unless you’re completely redesigning the theme, I wouldn’t consider that “unique”. ”

LOL, it makes me feel like I have more knowledge/skill by rephrasing it this way.

“I would start thinking and continue to think about making your services incredibly easy for clients. Set yourself apart from the others in a way that is outside of current practices. Be innovative. Unique. ”

I think about this everyday

Alen
    Participant

@ian-izaguirre001

I would like to start making my logo

Please don’t. You are not a logo designer. Plus logo is just a touch point for your brand and it’s a extension of it. Designing a logo doesn’t mean anything, it’s counterproductive to building a brand.

… marketing plan, website, start pre making articles ETC

Don’t put a carriage in front of the horse. Many thing will change like Paulie said. Marketing message will change. You will change.

You are thinking VERY small here. Think big…. what about managing appointments, calendars, insurance payments, etc… all that could be integrated to help you. And honestly ask your self if you will have enough time for all this. Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Delegating some of this work to a professional can be advantageous. You’ll be a dentist dude, pretty sure you can afford 20-30k website… :) then you can focus, do great dentist work and maybe on a side manage a personal blog, blogging about dentistry, whatnot, etc…

are there more concerns in terms of the website that i am over looking?

Yes. Stop thinking about the website and all the technical stuff. Much of the brainstorming should be in the abstract. Many industries are going tru disruption, ask your self how can I change dentistry for better, what is missing… what are the real problems patients have, how can you improve on that…

Be innovative. Unique.

This always makes me laugh. Please be realistic. It takes time and knowledge, years of school and personal experience, takes knowing your patients and their needs, takes knowing your market, knowing the technology…. it’s holistic. Innovation is REALLY hard and it doesn’t happen on a regular.

You can’t set your self apart, be unique or innovate as of now. Focus on finishing dentistry first, don’t stretch your self thin.

When newborn comes into this world, she can’t even roll over, can’t crawl… over next 4 months she will have enough strength to roll over, soon after she’ll start crawling, soon after walking, then running, jumping… it’s a process. You start rolling over without having enough strengths you just might suffocate.

Hope that gives you some food for thought. Best,

Alen

iizag
    Participant

Thank you all for all the great advice

chrisburton
    Participant

Innovation only comes in game-changing states. I’ll remember that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.