Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS IE8 Problem with background image

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bergmannn
    Participant

Hi all, I am working on a redesign for a site. Looking at my analytics I have about 15% users with Windows xp and IE8, still a lot of people… So i have a look at the site with IE8 and I am getting some major layout problems. I don’t know how to trouble shoot it.

The site is gardalink.com

The Logo and the language selection flags on the homepage are displayed how i like, but on every other page the logo and flags are disapearing, sometimes they show up for a moment and then they are gone….

The H1 headers on the homepage are ok on the other pages they are moved to the right…

when I switch on the compatibility mode of IE8 the images are shown but the navigation menu is broken.

Can anybody help me out of here ?

Regards from Italy

Martin

Senff
    Participant

I just tried it in IE8, and the logo + flags are appearing properly for me. I’m also not seeing any issues with the H1 titles.

EDIT: tried it again in IEtester (and not IE9 in IE8 mode) and now I do see the issues. I think you don’t make proper use of HTML5 — for example, for the main logo you have a HEADER tag within an A tag. Not sure if IE8 chokes on that, but it could be an issue.

As for the headers — you place

within an A-tag, I would do it the other way around: place the A within the

bergmannn
    Participant

sorry… i dont see your edit… I try to change this, thank you for your time.

bergmannn
    Participant

Ok, i figured out how to solve it, i do absolute positioning of the div containers, they have been pushed down behind the navigation bar… Hell… so many hours lost…

Thanks again…

Senff
    Participant

Why use absolute positioning? Like I said, avoid some of those HTML5 tags and see if that works.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.