Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS IE8 dynamic backgroundImage flicker problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dako

googling this topic yields lots of results, mostly 2009 era, where adding

filter: expression(document.execCommand("BackgroundImageCache", false, true));
    or

was to answer, however I’m not worried about flicker on changing pages… I’m doing something much more obnoxious…

setInterval(“DayTimer()”,100);

function DayTimer () {
    if (window.cssBoom==1) {
    toMove2=document.getElementById('scroller');
    toMove2.style.backgroundImage = "url('bitmaps/c2n1.png')";
    window.cssBoom=2;
    } else if (window.cssBoom==2) {
    toMove2=document.getElementById('scroller');
    toMove2.style.backgroundImage = "url('bitmaps/c2n2.png')";
    window.cssBoom=1;
    }
    }

this works fine in firefox and chrome, but flickers wildly in IE8, as it seems to be downloading over and over even though it just had the image. I DONT want it to do that (my host will kill me) nor do I want flicker, which may or may not be the same problem. (BTY ‘scroller’ is a div within divs, each with own layered background images… I haven’t tried removing all the layers as a test, but it’s moot cuz I need it layered)

any ideas for a new twist on an old problem?

dako

ps: how’s this work for memory leaking? should I be freeing the old before I load the new (I’m a c++ programmer), or no matter in html?

oh, and ‘scroller’ has CSS
    #scroller {
    position: relative;
    height: 70px;
    background-image:url(‘../c2.png’);
    background-repeat: repeat-x;
    }

dako

This is still a problem if anyone has any ideas. It’s not longer just a “flicker” problem, but now a CRASH server problem.

I’ve had to if (!isMSIE) the DayTimer code so IE skips it. I noticed last night the Downloading … was actually crashing (or at least timeouting my IP for 4 mins ) so NO ONE could get onto my game crimegameonline.com .

For clues, it seems to work on IE8 every so often, once it gets the image files it wants (that it has uber problems getting, 2 secs or crash server) and reloading the page seems to help. Once you exit the IE ap, the first time back it will crash / flicker.

But NONE of the browsers ever puts the background images in Temporary Internet Files, I’ve checked.

As I’ve said, it works fine on firefox / chrome.

Please any ideas?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.