Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS IE7 z-index issue…I’ve tried everything

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lprintz
    Participant

Hello all!

I’m hoping somebody can bail me out. I have a z-index issue in IE7 and I’ve tried DOZENS of fixes I’ve found online but nothing seems to work!

Here’s the page – http://www.siphon-marketing.com/unifirst

The jquery snippets I found didn’t work at all. I DID find a simple thing that got me close – adding div {z-index:10;}. By adding this, my drop-down menu DID appear over my slider HOWEVER I couldn’t navigate the dropdowns…kept disappearing when I moved my mouse!

I’ve tried this as well but same thing, submenus disappear when navigating through:

$(function() {
    var zIndexNumber = 1000;
    $(‘div’).each(function() {
    $(this).css(‘zIndex’, zIndexNumber);
    zIndexNumber -= 10;
    });
    });

I’m at my wit’s end

Len

Senff
    Participant

I’m not entirely sure about this, but I believe IE7 has an old bug that causes Z-indexes to not work properly. Can’t recall the full case situation in which it happens, but I recall that even though an element might have a higher Z-index, it would still be overlapped by another element with lower Z-index that would come later in the DOM.

I’m sure there’s a proper solution, but if you really tried everything (as in EVERYTHING!), then you might want to try moving the header lower in the DOM and position it absolute. I used to do this way back, when it also really mattered for SEO (having content as high up in the DOM as possible).

Kinda like this, to give you an idea:

…content goes here…

Would only use this as a very last resort though. If @Jamy_za’s solution doesn’t work.

lprintz
    Participant

Thanks jamy_za!

VERY simple solution, however, I get the same issue as my other attempts…can’t navigate the dropdown so I’m thinking I have OTHER IE7 issues!

Anybody have an idea? I may need to make another post as this would be a separate problem :(

lprintz
    Participant

Weird…no idea WHY it works but it did!!!!

Thanks so much!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.