Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS IE7 not registering some links (works on others, though)???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mathruD

I’m currently going back to adjust the styling of a website for IE7 and I’m running into an issue with one of my pages not registering the “a tags.” The link is

http://dev2.bluemuledesign.com/sports.php

You are supposed to be able to click on each of the sports buttons, causing the info on the left to change (divs are toggled to display/hide). If I hover over a sport button, the bottom toolbar in IE7 shows the correct code for the link, but I can’t actually click the button. The buttons work fine in other browsers and even in IE8. Can anyone tell me what is wrong here?

The weird part is, I’m using that same code to toggle divs on the page below, and it works fine:

http://dev2.bluemuledesign.com/donating.php

However, even on the “donating” page the mouse cursor doesn’t change to a pointer to let you know it is a link, but at least it works there.

Can someone please help me out with this issue?

mathruD

Nevermind, I finally figured it out, and I’ll explain the what happened in case someone else with the same problem finds this thread.

The reason some links worked and others didn’t was due to the placement of the “a tag.” The links that worked had the “a tag” placed directly on text or an image. The links that didn’t work had the “a tag” placed on the div containing the text or image that was to be linked. Apparently IE7 and below doesn’t supports links on divs. I switched them around and now they work fine.

DogsGhost

if you’re coding under doctype xhtml 1.0 transitional, wrapping a div in an anchor tag is invalid coding. Browsers above ie7 may render the link correctly, but the code is incorrect. A simple code validation would have caught this for you very quickly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.