Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS IE6 & IE7 Problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    d1rtyl0g1c

I’m relatively new to using CSS, but am starting to get the hang of it thanks to this site and others. I was primarily doing Flash sites before and have worked with PHP as well as PHP and Flash integration.

That being said, I’m having some problems getting my site to look the same in IE6 and IE7. I’ve managed to get the PIE.htc hack working to display rounded corners, but the layout is broken in both earlier browsers. Would anyone be kind enough to take a look at it and offer some insight as to why this is happening? I’d very much appreciate it. The link is http://www.remitechsolutions.com

markthema3
    Participant

Are you using percentages for the widths? IE6 and 7 round the number of pixels up when you use percentages, so you have to use less than 100%.
    EDIT: Looked at your CSS, no percentages. Hmm. Now I have to go find a computer that actually has IE6 rather than using browserlab and guessing…

AntonNiklasson
    Participant

I can tell that the centering won’t work as it is in IE. margin: auto won’t do it.

You should use this instead:

body { text-align: center; }
    #page-wrap { text-align: left; }

Should fix the centering.

d1rtyl0g1c

yeah i don’t get it at all. as far as centering goes though, everything is centered. just can’t figure out why some of my divs are off…

Brightonmike

Use IE cond statements, put all your CSS for the broken divs into a new stylesheet e.g. iestyles.css, and then edit their positioning. So you have different positioning for IE, without affecting other browsers. Simple!

d1rtyl0g1c

yeah i did that and it seems to have worked out pretty well. was actually working on that since my last post. it still looks like crap in IE6 and I need to find the png transparency hack, but i’m not even sure if it’s worth the effort to fix in IE6 anymore. i’ll probably do it just for the sake of having it done.

AntonNiklasson
    Participant

I wouldn’t put that much effort into making it work in IE6.

Maybe if everybody ignored IE6 compatibility everything would look like crap to those using it and they would eventually upgrade.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.