Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript IE + popstate… hmmm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    shaneisme
    Participant

So I’m making a script that will fade content from one <section> to another, no big there.

I am using jQuery for the time being, and the actual function of clicking on something and fading stuff out and in isn’t my problem.

I want to detect when the hash changes, so I use something like:

window.addEventListener('popstate', function()  {
       // do stuff
    });

I don’t mind if this doesn’t work 100% in older browsers, it’s just gravy.

However IE10, 9, whatever doesn’t seem to recognize it (even if I use the IE8 event fallback). I don’t really mind that so much for my first version of the software, but the unfortunate thing is this: if I use the typical jQuery $('.element').click... + the event listener, it will fire off the function to change everything twice in browsers that support both.

I’ve tried a few things to only do one or the other, but I’m not sure I’m on the right track.

For this version, just doing one or the other is all I need (note, I don’t want to bring 3rd party JS libraries in [other than jQuery of course]).

Pen: http://codepen.io/drainpip/pen/JvcHD

tl;dr:

• IE isn’t supporting popstate addEventListener
    • For browsers that support it, I only want to do either the traditional jQuery click OR the addEventListener OR only fire the popstate when browser back/forward is initialized and not if one of the applicable elements is clicked
    • No wanty 3rd party JS libraries on top of jQuery
    dyr
    Participant

You could try the ‘hashchange’ event which is fired with the hash part of the URL changes, as opposed to ‘pop state’ which is fired when a new entry in the history is added (such as when clicking an anchor element.)

http://caniuse.com/#feat=hashchange

You could also rip the history API detection from Modernizr or roll your own to detect whether pop state is available.

if (window.history && window.history.pushState) {
       // bind pushstate stuff
    } else {
      // bind hash change stuff
    }

I’m not sure if this actually would solve your issue but it’s a starting point.

Cheers

dyr
    Participant

I think a little more context about what’s required for this particular bit of functionality would help us help you more! :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.