Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS IE – floating social media icon’s not lined up?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    expo703
    Participant

Paulie_D

We’re gonna have trouble helping you due to the ‘security’ options you have in place.

I certainly can’t think of a reason why those logos are copyrighted..to you!

Senff
    Participant

All those social divs are not closed. As a result, the CHAT div is inside the LI div, which in turn is inside the TWITTER div, which in turn is inside the FACEBOOK div.

(…. which is inside the PRICE_MATCH div, which is part of the FREE_SHIPPING div, which is inside the EMAIL div, and so on, and so on)

Paulie_D

@Senff Ugh! I didn’t go that deep…I’m going to have to have a closer look.

Senff
    Participant

@Paulie_D Well, using position:absolute for every one of those divs kinda covered that up. :)

Paulie_D

Plus all those id tags and inline styling made me want to hurl.

Paulie_D

I love this at the top of the page too…

“!– Place this tag in the of your document –> “

expo703
    Participant

expo703
    Participant

Senff
    Participant

Well, they need to be closed. Sure that will cause other problems, but you can’t fix them by adding in “incorrect” code. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Let’s put it this way…. In the design, is the Twitter icon a sub-element of the Facebook icon? It’s not, so you shouldn’t code it like that either by making the Twitter DIV a sub-element of the Facebook div.
    They are on the same level in the design, so you’ll need both DIVs to be on the same levels too.

No offense but your code is quite a mishmash of all kinds of methods, I would look into cleaning it up a little and structurize it properly first.

Paulie_D

Try taking this divs out of the various (and multitudionous) divs they are in and removing all absolute positioning.

If we can see them in the normal document flow we can give you better idea of how to arrange them on your page.

Basically Senff has it right…you really need to look how the whole page structure is coded and re-think..HARD.

expo703
    Participant

expo703
    Participant

Senff
    Participant

@expo703 — understood that you’re new to this, but it may be too early for you to take on a large site like this one, and I would recommend to get (more) experienced with the basics first before you jump into the more advanced stuff.

Before being able to run properly , you’ll have to learn to walk first. There’s great resources available everywhere to get all the basics down. A chat won’t really help you unless you have one or two small issues, but that’s exactly why we have this forum.

Don’t get me wrong — it’s not like we’re not trying to help you with this. I just think the problems this site is having, may be a little too much to take on for someone who’s new to it, and the best help we can offer right now is to advise to take a few steps back and look at things again.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.