Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS IE CSS problem – adding a border to a table without collapsing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    emabevington

Hello again, my second post here and thanks again for helping me solve my first.

Having a bit of a problem with my table borders in IE 6 / 7 when I use compatibility view everything appears fine.

Take a look at the site here: http://practice.bevidesigns.co.uk/ in Chrome you can see the borders, in IE you can’t.

I have had a look on google and it seems you can get around this by collapsing the table but I need there to be the cell padding.

Is there any way of making the borders look the same in IE as they do in Chrome?

Here is my CSS:

.box {
    background-color:#bddbee;
    background-attachment: fixed !important;
    background: #bbdaee; /* Old browsers */
    background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, #bbdaee 0%, #f2f8fc 100%) no-repeat fixed; /* FF3.6+ */
    background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,#bbdaee), color-stop(100%,#f2f8fc)) fixed;/* Chrome,Safari4+ */
    background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, #bbdaee 0%,#f2f8fc 100%) fixed; /* Chrome10+,Safari5.1+ */
    background: -o-linear-gradient(top, #bbdaee 0%,#f2f8fc 100%) fixed; /* Opera11.10+ */
    /* for IE6, IE7 */
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#bbdaee', endColorstr='#f2f8fc');
    background: -ms-linear-gradient(top, #bbdaee 0%,#f2f8fc 100%) fixed; /* IE10+ */
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#bbdaee', endColorstr='#f2f8fc',GradientType=0 ) fixed;/* IE6-9 */
    background: linear-gradient(top, #bbdaee 0%,#f2f8fc 100%) fixed; /* W3C */
    border:3px solid #003366;
    }

Thanks,
    Emma

emabevington

any help anyone?

Senff
    Participant

If you need each cell to have a border, and have spacing between the cells (that’s not padding as such — padding is the space between a cell’s border and it’s content), I would either use DIVs instead of tables, or, if you definitely need tables, have DIVs within the table and then assign the borders to the DIVs.

emabevington

Hi Senff,

Okay, say if I used DIVs instead how would I do this as I need 9 DIVs inside one content DIV.

Or would it be easier to use background images?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.