Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS IE Cond. Statements not working

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Brightonmike

I can only test the site on one computer with IE7.

I have this in the header:

But IE is not removing the comments. Help? Site is: Site

TT_Mark

Conditional stylesheets must come AFTER your standard stylesheets, otherwise everything will just get overwritten by the main styles :-)

Brightonmike

I know, but regardless, IE is not stripping out the comments? So it’s not even trying to load the stylesheet.

TT_Mark

Not sure what you mean? I.E. doesn’t remove the comment tags, they are there so other browsers ignore them

Brightonmike

That doesn’t make sense. If it doesn’t strip the comment tags, then the link to the stylesheet is a comment and will be ignored. However which way it loads the stylesheet – it isn’t loading the stylesheet.

Brightonmike

What makes this so much more frustrating is I make a change to the sites code, and it takes about half an hour for IE to show the change, doesn’t matter what I do, clear cache, browser data etc.

TT_Mark

You could probably do with reading up on how IE Conditional comments actually work

“Explorer Windows, though, has been programmed to recognize the special

Brightonmike

Yeah, I get that.

But like I said, regardless of how they work, IE7 is NOT actually applying the adjusted styles. I’ve over-ridden the defaults, but it won’t work. I’ve a feeling it’s an issue with the computer I’m using, changes seem to take years to show up on it.

TT_Mark

Could be the hosting provider? Do all changes take a while to show or just those to the conditional stylesheet?

Brightonmike

All other changes are instant and I can see the code changes instantly on browsers on this PC. It’s just the PC running IE7.

TheDoc

I don’t see your stylesheet anywhere in your code on the home page.

TT_Mark

I can vouch for it being there earlier when the conversation started. It has now disappeared

Brightonmike

Eric – how do I do that? Is it really the best way?

Brightonmike

Okay, that makes sense. So the header on IE7 is too short, I want to make it taller, but just for IE7.

This will work?

*+html #header {height:160px;}
    Brightonmike

It works – brilliant, thank you :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.