Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS IE 7 and IE 8 compatibility

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    chauhanheena
    Participant

I’m working on the following website

http://www.goldensprocketzmedia.com/BlackTheme.

the website displays perfect on chrome and IE9 and above
    However on IE7
    I see the following problems.

-the fonts dont get applied (this happens even on IE8)
    -the font icons (faktory icons similar to font awesome icons) dont display
    – the center panel with the content gets displayes on the extreme left middle. It should be in the centre like how it is in IE 9 and above.
    – also the background images dotn fit right for every screen size. bigger screen and smaller screens show the background images in the actual size.

Please help with these fix as the client need the website working on ie 7 and 8 too :(

@Shikkediel
    :could you plzhelp

TIA

Paulie_D

IE7 doesn’t support @font-face as far as I know and support for IE8 is limited to EOT

http://caniuse.com/#feat=fontface

chauhanheena
    Participant

Thanks @paulie_d . Any idea about the other fixes.

Paulie_D

Not really, I barely recognize IE8 and I certainly don’t support IE7.

Shikkediel
    Participant

I’d try to help out but I’m rather ignorant when it comes to browsers before IE9. Only thing I ever did was make opacity work (but stopped supporting that later). I did have a look but in IE7/8 mode it won’t even get past loading the scripts. It reports this as an undefined or empty value : if(e.browser.msie). This shouldn’t be happening though – the site is using jQuery version 1.11 where this was removed. But I think it is due to an inline and outdated script :

* PANES - WordPress on One Page - custom script
    * -----------
    * author: PeHaa THEMES
    * email: [email protected]
    * version 1.1.3

Sorry to say I don’t have any more insight than that…

Edit – maybe you could try using jQuery 1.8.

Shikkediel
    Participant

It happens in IE11 when I reload the page with the element inspector as well of course but I didn’t notice that at first. The browser sniffing in the inline script could be essential for placing the panes correctly though.

chauhanheena
    Participant

@Shikkediel – do you suggest any fix?

Shikkediel
    Participant

You could try using an earlier library version, jQuery.browser was last present in 1.8. No guarantee that’ll fix it but it just might.

Right now I cannot view the page if I enable the element inspector – it gets stuck on that undefined value (not sure how to ignore it).

Edit – the doc says it’s still available with the migrate plugin.
    I do see that link on the page (?).

chauhanheena
    Participant

There will be a play like button on the menubar (under debugger). click that play button orpress F5or F8 to continue loading the website.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Good one, lol. Thanks. But in both IE7 and IE8 mode the content is centered normally on my setup (edit – I do see the problem on smaller screens, probably related to what follows in this paragraph). The other issue with the background images is because they are set with @media, which isn’t supported before IE9. Still weird .browser throws this error by the way.

chauhanheena
    Participant

worked on the center positioning today and felt so silly trying to set up things right on outdated versions. now the site is presentable on IE 7 and 8. Thanks so much for taking out time forthis. If im able to fix this msie thingy. great else i jus let it be.

Shikkediel
    Participant

No problem, couldn’t help too much on this one though. But maybe you could remove the @media rules and use jQuery for it instead…

Or possibly just a conditional script for the older browsers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.