Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Ideas for a web dev based research project?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Metallicafan93
    Participant

I’m currently studying for a BSc degree and about to start my third and final year. This means that the hard work is about to begin – the final project and dissertation. I decided to focus my project on website development because I have a love for it and if I may say so, I’m not bad at it. I’m halfway through the summer holiday and still searching for the ideal project for me.

So my question is: What would be a good website development research project?

Key points to consider are:
    1. Must include a product at the end
    2. Try to make it something not overdone like Semantic Web (I did consider this topic)
    3. Must be achievable for a degree student
    4. I would like it to help users (ie. Accessibility and Usability)

Please help me, I’m struggling here! I’m actually scared that I won’t have a project for September!!

Beverleyh
    Participant

Necessity is the mother of invention

I don’t think you can go too far wrong if you look to your own experiences for inspiration. Try thinking about your past web dev projects and interactions with clients – what would have made your/another person’s life easier in X situation? For example, I volunteered for an organisation for 7 years and during that time, we needed to help sister organisations collectively get news out into our shared community. So I developed a “community news feed”; the front was a scroller that could be embedded into sister websites, the backend was a non-techy admin panel where multiple nominated users could manage updates. It needed multiple password protected accounts and a log so users could track who was adding/editing entries. It also created and modified an RSS feed that could be used to push updates automatically to Facebook and Twitter (if you’re curious, it was this http://fast-apps.co.uk/fast_feed.php )

Have you got something (a need) like that you can look to and build on?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.