Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript I think I need a Javascript solution for radio button’s data

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jami

My issue is the gateway I’m dealing with will only process data for the var ‘installments’ once, so I have to get the user to select from a choice #1 or choice #2 + enter their own number. My problem is with choice #2 –

Using the following:

Total number of payments..

number of payments –

But this returns either installments = ’99’ or
    installments = ‘on’ & installments = ‘4’ (or whatever number they choose)

I need the var installments to equal either 99 or their entered number. I saw some CSS tricks plus JS that seemed along the lines of what might solve my issue.

When the user selects the #2 radio button is there a way to eliminate it from sending it’s data?

Thank you ~
    http://cdpn.io/sxnhE

tomrogers123

You could give the custom option an `id`:

…and then use some conditional logic in your JS:

if( $(‘#other).is(‘:selected’) ) {

// user wants to enter own value

$(‘[name=”installments”]”).not(‘[type=”text”]’).attr(‘name’, ”) // remove all values apart from the entered text.

}

Might I suggest that you also add some UI where the custom textbox only shows if the corresponding choice has been made.

Jami

I do have some UI that hides that input field until selected, but I’m still trying to work out this first.

This is what your solution returns:

installments | Enter Custom..

installments | 2

btnSubmit | Submit

So you see I’m still sending two data values for the var ‘installments’, and only one (numeric) will be accepted all others throw an error.

Is there a way to check if the input field (installments) has data and then disable that second radio button? A disabled form element sends no data I’ve heard. I’d probably have to un-check the first radio, but that would be a small concession if this worked.

Thanks

Jami

It worked!!!! I’m so thrilled I could scream…. Thank you Thank you.
    I have to look into this jQuery, everyone seems to be using it.

> “Keep in mind that this will break if javascript is disabled.”
    Yes, I am concerned about that. I suppose there is a php way to do this, but I don’t know php.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.