Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other I Just Got my First Web Design Job but some Questions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    RomelloM
    Participant

Hey Everyone Just got my first client for Webdesign. The Comapny wants a simple page with contact information a description of the company etc.

I didn’t give them a price yet for my service yet. But since I’am using Square Space I not going to charge that much. What do you guys think about that.

THX

chrisburton
    Participant

In my opinion, their web presence sounds like a failure if all they want is contact information and a description.

When you say you’re going to use Sqaure Space, what does that mean? Are you going to use a theme or build one from scratch if that’s possible?

RomelloM
    Participant

I am going to build off a theme since they want so little. I dont want to scare them off with a price so I was thing $125.

chrisburton
    Participant

As long as they know what you’re doing and you don’t try to hide that (some people do), I’m all for it.

As for the $125, where is that number coming from? Meaning, how did you come up with that number?

Bluelogic
    Participant

I work for a digital agency and i would advise selling based on time.

How long do you think it will take? then just give yourself a price per hour/day rate and charge accordingly.

If it is only going to take 5 hours then $125 sounds a reasonable price, but if you are going to take longer then i would up your rate. Have you assessed how big the business is? can they afford to up the price?

chrisburton
    Participant

@Bluelogic The problem is, working for an agency is completely different than freelancing for yourself. Even so, that’s not the best way to go about it. You’re throwing out numbers randomly based on nothing but time.

RomelloM
    Participant

We came to agreement of 80/hr. I will work 2hrs on the site for 2weeks.

Thanks for you guys oppion.

chrisburton
    Participant

BUT, where is that number coming from?! What are the contributing factors for that number (i.e. cost of living, insurance, business expenses, etc)? That is what you need to go buy not just what the client agrees to pay.

Alen
    Participant

@RomelloM congrats on your first client. This might be contrary to what others will advise you on this forum. And that is not to worry about the money aspect too much. Just to be clear, I’m not saying you shouldn’t get paid, I’m saying there’s more to this then just what you should charge. The real challenge it taking something abstract that the client gives you and turning it into something that makes sense. Creating order from chaos.

Let the experience be the driving force and use that as a tool to build your reputation. Money will come eventually. In my opinion learning how to talk with clients, how to ask right questions, how to manage expectation… there’s so much more to this.

Anyways… have fun and put in the work and make something, even if it takes you more time than expected. Overall experience will give you enough insight to be better equipped to make decisions in the future.

Many people think short term satisfaction (money) instead I invite you to think about the future (career).

Hope that helps.

web presence sounds like a failure if all they want is contact information and a description

I’ll have to disagree with this. Communication is the key here. If I’m selling water to beach-goers and I have a cart that I drive around the beach… do I need HUGE web presence to be successful… or do I need platform that lets people know what I do in my local area.

chrisburton
    Participant

Alen, you’re right, money is not the primary factor. I agree with most of your points however, it is important and it is how we survive in this world.

Money will come eventually.

But! It sounds like you’re advocating that people work for free to get their foot in the door. This is an opinion where we would have to agree to disagree unless of course we’re talking about charity.

web presence sounds like a failure if all they want is contact information and a description

I’ll have to disagree with this. Communication is the key here. If I’m selling water to beach-goers and I have a cart that I drive around the beach… do I need HUGE web presence to be successful… or do I need platform that lets people know what I do in my local area.

I wasn’t recommending a “HUGE web presence” but if someone is selling water of all things at the beach, I doubt they would need a web presence at all. I might be able to give you a more thorough opinion if the hypothetical was different.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.