Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS I added a margin, elements don't respond

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bahgheera
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m new here and this is my first post.

So I am working on a custom theme for my forum, a version of which you can see at The FLipside – sandbox. If you visit that link you can see how I want the whole site to look. But, if you click the “General Discussion” link, you’ll see that the header for that page is 19 different kinds of wack.

Now, before you all look at the css and decide that I should have bricks thrown at me, know that I am a lowly newb. I have a background in DIY computer stuff, but I’ve never done anything serious before. So my process is this: decide which element I want to modify, right-click in Chrome and Inspect element, make the proper modifications to the css, then save and upload. I may be creating a mess but it’s been working so far.

Until now, I just can’t seem to add a margin-bottom to that header. It’s a element, but no matter what I do, it refuses to budge. I need a 5px gap in there, but margin doesn’t work, position: relative doesn’t work, I’ve tried a few other things but none that have had any effect whatsoever.

So if anyone doesn’t mind helping out and has any idea what is going on here, I’d appreciate it greatly.

Thanks!

bahgheera
    Participant

No. What I meant was that the header in the General Discussion forum is pushed down against the first item in the list of posts. I want it to be uniform, identical to the way it is on the front page. There should be a 5px margin in between the header and the posts but I seriously cannot find a way to do it. This has been driving me crazy for 24 hours now… Anyway, thanks for the response.

TheDoc

Table rows cannot have margin values. Can you increase the padding? That would work. Otherwise you could insert a <tr class="spacer"></tr> before and after the class=”highlighted” rows.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10690299/how-to-add-a-margin-to-a-table-row-tr

It’s really ugly, but you could add another row and style it like this:

.table_grid thead tr.spacer th {
        background: none;
        height: 5px;
        display: block;
        padding: 0;
    }

bahgheera
    Participant

Ok, thanks for that. I was hoping I could accomplish this without touching the html, but if that’s the only way then so be it. Thanks again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.