I’m about to pull my hair out on this! I cannot get the simple html5 AUDIO element to work in firefox! Upon page load, you see the player appear and then it disappears to a black box with an X in it. I have the needed .ogg file on the server. I have the file linked to:
I have tried adding this
AddType application/ogg .ogg
into an .htaccess file and I’ve tried all different variations in the .htaccess file too. I’ve tried “AddType audio/ogg .ogg”, I’ve tried “AddType application/audio/ogg .ogg”, I’ve tried “AddType audio/ogg” without the extension, etc etc. The mp3 file works perfect on Safari and Chrome. What else can I try? Does it seem like it’s a server issue? Do I need to add more to the .htaccess file? The site is on a shared 1and1 server. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!
Hey, Preeminent, thank you SO much for posting this problem and your entire process up through the solution. I had the same problem, and was really frustrated that such a simple tag wasn’t working as it should with Firefox. But my client was on a Linux server, so it obviously wasn’t the MIME issue, but I went right for the .htaccess solution, and that did the trick. A million thanks!
Thank you so much! I spent two days trying to figure out why my audio would not work in Firefox when it had worked all along. My web host just upgraded my site to a new platform and the .ogg MIME type was not supported. I added it to the .htaccess file as a supported format. Works now like a charm. Thanks again. Blessings to you.