Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End HTMl to WP – Help?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    EnzoAmata

I’ve hit a block on what to do next with this wp theme I’m making, maybe some of you can shed some light on why it’s looking the way it does?

Here are two examples of what it’s meant to look like and what it does look like: https://plus.google.com/photos/106646612227503423964/albums/5703823047692722545?authkey=CMPal-b93a7zMA

Link to all the html, css and wp template I’ve done so far too: http://cl.ly/150t0o0u003z1e0q3S3c

Any help on this would be appreciated.

TheDoc

Not going to download the zip, but I can ask a few questions! Have you completed all of the HTML templates and testing?

A basic rundown of what I do:

1. Create HTML templates based on approved designs – do all browser testing here. Templates aren’t created for specific pages of your site, but for templates that your site will need (home page, single post, page, contact, 404, etc.)
    2. Set up WordPress
    3. Start converting HTML templates into a WP theme (new files like header.php, sidebar.php, footer.php will emerge)

EnzoAmata

I understand what yur suggestion, I’ve done all of that so far, I will upload the singular files to the cloud for others to see:

I wrote these files first:

index.html
    style.css

Then I started cutting my html into these wp files:

header.php
    index.php
    sidebar.php
    footer.php

Each file is linked to separately.

TheDoc

So what do you need help with? Also, remember that ‘index.php’ does not equal your home page. I just wrote a post about it! http://blog.designbygray.ca/wordpress-why-you-gotta-be-so-confusing/

EnzoAmata

I understand the differences between those two files. If you take a look at the photos I linked to in the first post, you;ll see the differences between both layouts, the html one and once I cut it into wp.

To suggest again, looking at the two pictures the html isn’t working within the wp files and it’s not giving me the same results as the html and css does.

TheDoc

You aren’t linking to your files properly in your theme. For example, you have this:

header logo

It should be this:

header logo

Same with your CSS file, etc.

EnzoAmata

Thank you, this is the part I’m not understanding and looking at tutorials just telling me to copy and paste things into a template they have already made isn’t explaining the process all that well for a theme which is a little differently laid out like the one I’m working on.

Do you know of a tutorial or something that can help me work better on this type of layout I’ve designed?

TheDoc

Don’t know of any tutorials, really.

The design of the website doesn’t really matter, though. If all you’re doing is converting HTML templates into WordPress templates, there shouldn’t be any major complications.

EnzoAmata

For example them the section in the index.php where I want to display the first “Hello World” post. I’m asking it to use a picture from the attached images section and also have it laid out as the normal html and css has it laid out, when I copy that over the whole section around that just get complicated, example:

" />

I don’t know how to tell wordpress to go get the image from the attached images – like how you can insert and image as a featured image on a post. I know I haven’t setup the other section of wordpress to do that yet but that will be the idea.

If anyone can direct me to a good place for all the codex which is easier to search though than wordpress’s own site of codex then please link to it, when I go on the codex page of wordpress it’s just to overwhelming.

TheDoc

You’re going to want to use the WordPress loop, like this:

If you’ve set up ‘featured images’ or post thumbnails, you can use the_post_thumbnail();. You can read more about that here: http://blog.designbygray.ca/using-wordpress-featured-image-post-thumbnail/

EnzoAmata

Thank for all the feedback.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.