Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other HTML first or WordPress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RayCornelius

When your finished with your design, would you rather jump straight to WordPress and start coding it, or do you code it up in an HTML document first and make all necessary changes before going into WordPress?

Personally I like starting with a fresh HTML document and then transferring that over to WordPress.

TheDoc

Always, always, always start with HTML templates.

jacorre
    Participant

I agree. It helps to get a working example going as a regular html template and then once you work out all the kinks, make it into a WordPress template.

noahgelman
    Participant

I actually like just jumping straight into wordpress. Going HTML first (and I have before) always felt like like more work and wasn’t making things any easier. I’m knocking going HTML first, there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just my preference not to.

I wonder what Chris does.

jacorre
    Participant

Well I guess it depends if you have a testing environment. If you don’t have a test server where you can test with php code as you design and code your wordpress template then it’s a bit more difficult to jump right into wordpress.

noahgelman
    Participant

True, but if you got the HTML route, you still have to move everything over, and if you dont want all that jazz showing up on live then you’ll need a testing server anyway. Either that or another site to build it on.

Of course if it’s a brand new site, it won’t matter since it doesn’t have any traffic. But if It’s already established then yeah, I would go testing server

I always do a “rough” draft w/ HTML, not the full thing, just enough to get me started. I also sketch out the frame work for the site to keep me focused. I know from the training videos I have seen Chris do, he always promotes systematic mark-up before WordPress. I know I do this more now than ever before and it has made things a lot easier.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.