Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other HTML editor as a job?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Alaska
    Participant

I just got a call from someone who has seen my portfolio and wants to interview me for a position as an HTML editor. I’ll admit that I am better at designing than I am coding, so has i would like to know if anyone here has had this type of job, and what it usually entails, and how much experience I would need not to make a fool out of myself.

I do know a good bit of HTML and CSS, I took quite a few courses in college, and on my own. I’m not oblivious to it, I’m just not as confident in that area.

And I will obviously ask him more about it at the interview, I just want to know your guy’s experience with it.

TheDoc

I’ve been a professional (meaning that it pays my bills) web developer for the past five or so years now. You’ll find that the majority of people on this forum do this for a living.

Based on the code that you posted for your portfolio, I’d say you’re really far behind in terms of today’s coding standards. I’d recommend going through something like this: http://learnlayout.com/ and taking some courses on [Treehouse](http://teamtreehouse.com/redirect/css-tricks “Treehouse”).

Anonymous
    Inactive

what exactly is an “HTML Editor”?. Telling from the job title i think its someone who modifies/edits someone else’s HTML code. I once had a task like that but it was unbelievably frustrating because i had to update a website with unorganized and uncommented code, and a bunch of separate files that didn’t need to be separate. I ended up quitting after 3 days, and was able to change only a few things. The thing is that if you feel like you don’t know enough than either don’t take the job, or let the employer know you are not a professional.

theacefes

I agree with the folks above. Most employers/potential employers will appreciate your honesty more than if you lied/exaggerated and then couldn’t perform your job.

Alaska
    Participant

Thanks,
    I wasn’t planning on lying to the guy, especially if I knew I wouldn’t be able to do it. I just wanted to know what it was going to be like and I think Jarolin helped quite a bit, haha.

Alen
    Participant

> Telling from the job title i think its someone who modifies/edits someone else’s HTML

This is not necessarily the case. If your title is HTML editor I would assume that you would be solving HTML problems/issues. Whether you edit someone else’s code or not is irrelevant. This could be a great opportunity to get your feet wet. Don’t dismiss this opportunity just because…

> website with unorganized and uncommented code, and a bunch of separate files that didn’t need to be separate.

You could solve these problems for them.

> Thanks, I wasn’t planning on lying to the guy, especially if I knew I wouldn’t be able to do it. I just wanted to know what it was going to be like and I think Jarolin helped quite a bit, haha.

I would recommend being honest, but still try to get the job. You could “fake it til you make it”, but please be honest and willing to be challenged. This opportunity can only benefit you.

Experience.

iknowdavehouse
    Participant

The job title doesn’t give much away…

I have seen this kinda thing before as a human content management system…duplicating and editing templated pages or writing HTML mail outs etc

Alaska
    Participant

Thanks a lot for all the input, guys.

I think I’m confident enough to go in there and hear what he has to say, and be honest enough with him in my abilities and hopefully get the job.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.