Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other HTML 5 vs me

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    PeretzM

After all the hoopla etc. about HTML 5, the question I’m left with is: When starting a new project, how much HTML 5 should I be using?
    I’m by no means an expert on HTML in general, just basics etc., so is it for me?

TT_Mark

Right, well there is no reason you should not be using the HTML5 Doctype on new projects. All that is is:

You can also start to use some of the new form input types such as “email”, “tel”, “url” etc as browsers which don’t understand them just default to type=”text”.

Aside from that, it depends if you want to support users without JavaScript, or users with old browsers like IE6 and IE7

PeretzM

Thanks TT that was helpful, which got me thinking, is there a list somewhere with all the new tags and what the fall backs are for them? This way we can know which ones to start implementing…

PeretzM

What i meant was, what happens if the browser doesn’t support them. for example the form tags that TT mentioned that just default to type=”text”.

noahgelman
    Participant

Well there’s a javascript file you can attach to your site, and it will make sure all of your tag degrade properly. It’s even hosted by google for you.

http://code.google.com/p/html5shiv/

Luminated

The idea of having to learn on a javascript file loading to ensure my page structure and layout work puts my stomach in knots.

Sorry, until IE9 is the new standard, HTML5 and I are not good partners yet.

TheDoc

@Luminated – I agree with you to an extent. I actually don’t really like a bunch of the new HTML elements (header, nav, section, etc). I think code can look a lot cleaner by throwing IDs on lists, divs, etc.

Having said that, there is nothing stopping you from using the new Doctype and cleaning some other stuff up. There are also some major advantages to using the HTML5 Doctype for people with disabilities (using screen readers, etc).

There is more to HTML5 than the new tags!

Luminated

Very, very true. I was wondering though, if I use the new doctype, how will validation work?

TheDoc

Also remember that it’s not an “official” validation, per se. They are still trying to figure everything out.

Validation is a tool to make sure you don’t have any glaring errors that could cause issues at a later date. In some cases validation simply isn’t a viable option, especially when you start stretching the limits of technology.

PeretzM

w3c has disclaimer about html5

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.