Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS href in css

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    aikiart
    Participant

Hi.
    Does anyone know of a way to use a href in css, the way you can use background and pass it a graphic with href? I want to have an cascading menu with graphics, which are being passed in from css. What should happen is when the user click a menu item it should take you to a page, but since there is no text in the html, (see below) where i’ve put "text should go here", it doesn’t work, if i put so much as a period there it will work, but this is not a viable solution.

Thank
    Art

Eg.,"This is a snippet of the css"
    #contactus {
    background: url(../images/contactusbutton.jpg) left center no-repeat;
    padding-left: 20px;
    margin-top: 5px;
    height: 50px;
    }

Eg., "This is a snippet of the html"
    <ul id="MenuBar1" class="MenuBarVertical">
    <li id = "home">"text should go here"<a href="index.php">
    </a> </li>
    <li id = "aboutuswithout" >
    <a href="aboutus.php" class="MenuBarItemSubmenu"></a>
    <ul >
    <li><a href="testimonials.php">Testimonials</a></li>
    </ul>
    </li>
    <li id = "serviceswithout">

noahgelman
    Participant

If there is no content in an anchor link, then the link has no width, and is therefore unclickable. Give the link(s) a set width and height in your css so they can be clickable without you have to put text there.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

If you want to target an anchor you just use "a"

Noah is right – if there is no content inside the link then there will be no width – this is because it is classed as an inline element by default.

You can make it a block element and give it a width and height by using display:block when styling it. If you want it to still behave inline but be a block you need to use "display:inline-block" … in earlier version of IE you will need to use a float to make it stay inline.

So you need something like this…

a {
    background:url("image.jpg") no-repeat;
    display:block;
    width:100px;
    height:20px;
    }

that will force a width and height of the anchor.

aikiart
    Participant

Thank you noahgelman & Robskiwarrior,
    I’m not sure i fully grasp what you’re saying, however, i now have some ideas to research and some roads to go down.

Thanks again
    Art

aikiart
    Participant

Thanks,

I got it to work by using your ideas and code, with one modification, i used an invisible gif instead of the image.jpg.

Art

a {
    background:url("image.jpg") no-repeat;
    display:block;
    width:100px;
    height:20px;
    }

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Hey –

Well if you didn’t want it to have a background you could have just left off the background :D It still would have been the width/height you specified :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.