Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript How would I get nav links to show an active state when scrolling content for a Responsive website?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Janice
    Participant

Hi all!

So I’ve coded my first responsive website and I’m using a plugin called “Smooth Scroll” for my nav links which works well. The only caveat is that I cannot get the nav links to show an active state when scrolling to a particular section. I’m not JavaScript fluent and tried a few hacks, but could not get it working.

Any ideas? Any plugins or custom js you know of that would solve my issue? Any sites you know of whose code I could utilize to make this happen?

Here’s the Codepen url: http://codepen.io/j-nice/full/BrIbA

Gracias!
    J-nice

Xordan

/* You get a Type Error on the first line of your script. */
    jQuery(document).ready(function($){
    $(‘header h1 a’).smoothScroll({
    speed: 600
    });

Ready function should be call this way :
    $(document).ready(function() {
    Your document ready code here
    });
    or
    $(function() {
    your document ready code here.
    });

Actually your using it like you are using the noConflict() option of jQuery without using it. When noConflict() is use the syntax “jQuery(document).ready(function($) {…})” is use but the global jQuery variable is passed as argument to the ready function($) and then you can use the $ inside your function. But you are not using any other library in your sample code so take the basic syntax of $(function() { /* YOUR FUNCTION CODE HERE */}); and it should work.

Remember, if your not using any jQuery CONFLICTING library, always use $ instead of jQuery.

Hope this help.

Janice
    Participant

Hi Xordan,

Thank you for the info! I really appreciate it. I have updated my Doc Ready statements, but I still have the same issue.
    I just updated my codepen with a new plugin that handles ‘smooth scrolling’ and ‘active nav link’ states.
    But, I cannot get my active state to work. I don’t know if it’s a CSS issue, a JS issue or both.
    If you have time, could you have a look?

Here’s the link: http://codepen.io/j-nice/full/BrIbA

Gracias!

Janice
    Participant

It’s the strangest thing…when I tested it locally it wasn’t working. But when I looked at it on codepen, it works fine.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.