Skip to main content

Forums

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  joelinsk 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

joelinsk

I have a project coming up, where I need to develop a wordpress theme, test, populate pages and posts etc, and I need to be able to show the client a “hidden link” where it can be previewed… and of course i need to do all this while leaving the existing site (static- not wordpress) untouched.

Have done this tons of times when launching static sites, but not with WordPress…. any suggestions are appreciated…

TheDoc

I would create a subdomain and build it all out there. Eg:

dev.clientdomain.com

I’d use htaccess to make the directory password protected.

Then when you go to launch the site, you’ll move the entire directory into the root, remove the password protection, and update some of the links.

OniLinkCR

You can also do a folder instead of a subdomain. Make sure when you install wordpress that nothing of it is indexed by search engines.

TheDoc

I would definitely make sure it’s a subdomain. That way when you’re testing, all of the links will still be relative to the root.

joelinsk

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Mottie

If you are using a Mac, Chris has a video on a program called MAMP.

If you have a PC, then try out WampServer.

JoshWhite

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Hey I finally found the thread again! Does anyone else have any experience with the sub-domain method? I’m attempting it right now and we’re another couple of weeks away from launch but I want to make sure I understand how to properly move it over.

When you get ready to move it, do you go into Settings > General and change the 2 url’s and then proceed to move it? I had an issue once where I changed the path and it wouldn’t let me log in any more :/

sanclementejoe
    Participant

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

More discussion and a walkthrough of this would be much appreciated!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

icon-link icon-logo-star icon-search icon-star