Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] How to target only the "stray text" inside a DIV?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ephestione
    Participant

This question stems from the white space problem for percent width and inline-block divs that wrap before they should (example, 4 width:25% DIVs won’t fit in a line, because of the spaces between one DIV closing tag and next DIV opening one).
    The font-size:0; solution if the one I prefer, but I have to remember to reset to “medium” or whatever everything in deeper levels. I can do that, but I don’t want to.
    So I said, “hey I could just have the stylesheet target ONLY the stray text inside that container (read: spaces between HTML tags) and nothing else”.
    To my knowledge there is no such existing selector (I tried #container>text but it obviously didn’t work), so I went for a parallel approach, and tried excluding EVERYTHING else apart from stray text, that is first-level child inside that container (only DIVs).
    So I thought I was smart when I tried:
    #container>*:not(div) {font-size:0;}
    but it did nothing.

Suggestions?

Paulie_D

Do you mean bare text nodes like

<div>
    This is a text node...not in an phrasing element
    </div>

If it’s just the whitespace…you’ll just have to deal with it.

You can’t select text nodes to style them. CSS basically selects elements

ephestione
    Participant

Thank you Paulie
    Part of me feels just like your avatar now ;-)
    In this case I understand that there is no way to directly select text nodes in CSS.
    Does this also mean the “different” approach at selecting “everything which is not a DIV inside container X” fails for the same reason?

Paulie_D

Does this also mean the “different” approach at selecting “everything which is not a DIV inside container X” fails for the same reason?

Yes…because text nodes aren’t elements and so can’t be selected.

ephestione
    Participant

Thank you again, and have a nice day :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.