Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design How to take credit for child themes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    joshsmith01
    Participant

What is the ethical way to take credit for websites that I build for people? I mean I don’t make the theme, I make the child theme. I haven’t seen anyone explicitly state that this is a child theme. Now, I put something in the footer stating that this is built by Josh at Efficiency of Movement. I wonder if I should state something like, “This is a child theme of xyz theme by xyz theme makers made by Josh at Efficiency of Movement” That seems verbose and it uses industry jargon.

I want to do it right and I don’t want to answer for anything unethical that I may inadvertently be doing.

TheDoc

An interesting question. You should definitely be giving credit to the original theme, though it’s certainly up to the client whether or not that should be appearing in the footer. Generally, a ‘custom’ site shouldn’t really be based off another theme (hopefully you’re letting the client know that!).

joshsmith01
    Participant

Ok. That is what I’ll do. I was giving credit to the theme makers and then I stopped and only cited my own company. Now I will give both shops credit, it is just going to have to be verbose.

I always tell people that I am building a site for that I am going to use a theme and then customize that. I don’t tell them that it is a custom theme. I tell them that I am going to build a child theme. I don’t think they really care to know the difference. They just want a website.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.