Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other how to switch assets based on the platform: flash for windows, and HTML5 for ios

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dhiyan
    Participant

I am an eLearning developer and use animated flash (*swf) in my courses.

We offer the same courses in html5 format aimed for ipad: Flash to html 5 conversion done using Google Swiffy.

The drawback is the same content is packaged twice – one with flash and other with Html5, and placed at two different location and the learner can register to either version, based on the device he/she is going to use to access the course.

I believe this is not the correct strategy, and I should be able to offer the course as a single package.

Can anyone help how to switch swf with the equivalent html5 snippet, by automatically detecting the platform the content being accessed?

Thank you in advance.

P.S: Many of the learners still use old version of IE and we could not offer HTML5 alone.

Paulie_D

Can anyone help how to switch swf with the equivalent html5 snippet, by automatically detecting the platform the content being accessed?

This assumes that the platform being used to access the content is the same as the platform on which it will be used.

I might want to access the information on a Win8 machine with Chrome 41 but need the information to support a client still using IE8 (and yes they still exist…lots of them).

Senff
    Participant

Have you tried Modernizr? I don’t have experience with its Flash detection myself, but it seems you can use it to detect whether or not the user has Flash installed: http://v3.modernizr.com/download/#-flash

dhiyan
    Participant

Thanks,Paulie_D and Senff :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.