All Posts by Email, Once a Week

Media Temple logo

CSS-Tricks is brought to you in part by Media Temple, the web hosting that we both use and recommend.

How to stretch my page and get scroll bar when zooming in?

• # February 7, 2013 at 11:43 am

“I thought you guys are experts who can find the bug from an image”

welp, i guess you were wrong:
    http://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/21516/a-guide-to-using-codepen-help-us-help-you-/p1

# February 9, 2013 at 8:22 am

you are so right . you can’t help without seeing what I’m talking about and I’m not allowed to show you local code .
    I asked our designer here in company and he didn’t know what’s wrong .
    he said I should know how zooming works in firefox to know why the tabs of jequery is always getting their width from brower width .
    any help in that ?

# March 7, 2013 at 2:50 am

I wrote some code here’s somthing similar to my problem :
    http://jsfiddle.net/U2YkF/11/

# March 7, 2013 at 2:55 am

please help me :(
    I tried many ways and I had two results :
    if I want to make my site like this site :
    all elements inside html and body I have to make width:100% for html and body and not specify any width for any element (table) inside html and body .
    second way (which I was asked to do ) : I have to give html and body width of the table to keep it always (keep the table) inside html and body .
    but that’s so wrong !! beacause I have to make my site for all screen sizes .
    I want the page to expand when zooming or when width of tables is large the body and html goes wider too

# March 7, 2013 at 3:05 am

> if you are develoing a product you will have many style sheets :D !! what’s strange in that !

Nothing strange with that. However there is something wrong: you shouldn’t have multiple stylesheets in the production environment.

> I thought you guys are experts who can find the bug from an image

We are front-end developer. Not magicians.

# March 7, 2013 at 3:14 am

okay I’m sorry , I’m not the one who wrote those stylesheets . I’m just trying to find errors and I’m a beginner and here’s my pain

# March 7, 2013 at 3:53 am

maybe this’s called a fluid width of table

# March 7, 2013 at 4:18 am

Solution A: limit the width of content within the table.

Solution B: give the table’s parent element overflow-x: auto; (and make sure it also has a width defined).

That’ll make scrollbar for the table’s parent element so you’ll be scrolling the table horizontally instead of the whole page.

# March 7, 2013 at 4:27 am

I was asked to scroll the whole page when zooming not only the table , also I thought It’s wrong to give the table a width (for example : 1200px) beacuase I don’t know what screen would be used to display my site !

# March 7, 2013 at 6:36 am

I think I found my solution :

$(‘html’).css(‘width’,$(window).attr(‘innerWidth’));
    $(‘html’).css(‘overflow-x’,’scroll’)
    $(‘html’).css(‘position’,’absolute’)

# March 7, 2013 at 6:37 am

thanks everyone and sorry if i bothered you ^_^

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

There's a whole bunch of content on CSS-Tricks.

Search for Stuff   •   Browse the Archives

Get the Newsletter ... or get the RSS feed