Give help. Get help.

  • # March 20, 2013 at 8:48 am

    I’m having issues with AJAX related links, and need to dynamically find and replace all “../” href’s with either a blank “” or a single “/”.

    For example:
    href=”../about/” needs to become href=”about/”, or href=”/about/”

    Any thoughts?

    # March 20, 2013 at 8:56 am

    Found the answer:

    $(‘a’).each(function() {
    $(this).attr(“href”, function(index, old) {
    return old.replace(“../”, “”);

    # March 20, 2013 at 1:50 pm

    Okay, almost solved… The code above only applies to ‘../’ links, however I need it to solve for all variations of this such as ‘../../’ and however many more levels there may be.

    I tried duplicating the script with a different function name for ‘../../’ but the links only change according to whichever script comes first.

    Does anyone know how to extend this simply?

    # March 21, 2013 at 5:23 am

    You need to do the replace using a regex with the global flag set,

    $(this).attr(‘href’, function(index, old) {
    return old.replace(new RegExp(‘../’,’g’), ”);

    Pen is here:

    # March 22, 2013 at 1:08 am

    Thanks @Podders, the Pen works perfectly, will test on my project and get back to you. Thanks again!

    # March 24, 2013 at 8:32 am

    For some reason the above code is removing the last three characters off of any href that includes any kind of symbol…

    For example:

    “../about/” becomes “abo”

    “../contact-form/” becomes “contafo”

    Any clues??

    # March 24, 2013 at 8:51 am

    Ahh yes it’s because the period character in regex represents any character, you can also escape that in the following way,

    $(this).attr(‘href’, function(index, old) {
    return old.replace(new RegExp(/..//,’g’), ”);

    New pen is here

    Out of curiosity, why not just make all your links relative links to the root?, or do you not have control over the generated links ?

    # March 26, 2013 at 4:48 am

    Thanks @Podders, the honest truth is, and I’m embarrassed to admit, that I hadn’t properly configured my Mamp development environment correctly for subdomains, so when using root-relative URLs, on a domain such as http://localhost/mysite, the links would always take me back to the localhost root instead of the intended site root.

    I decided to get my hands dirty this morning, and get into setting up virtual hosts on Mamp and I’ve got everything up and running, so http://localhost/mysite is now http://mysite.localhost, and the root relative URLs are working perfectly.

    I should’ve done this weeks ago, it would’ve saved loads of hours, but I have learned a lot along the way.

    Anyways, thanks again for the nudge! (And for your code)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.