Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How to remove subdirectories using mod_rewrite in .htaccess

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    ewisely
    Participant

Use REQUEST_URI when you want to compare a pattern to the URI. Use REQUEST_FILENAME when you want the filename.

Think I slightly get what you mean about URI and FILENAME. I’ll definitely need more time to explore the use of these 2 requests in order to understand more on how different they behave in the process of mod-rewrite. Thanks for that.

(if your routine/ files will always have a dash in the name, and there will never be other files with dashes in the name, then you might be able to write a rule to recognize that. But that’s a big “if,” and I would not recommend this approach.)

I take your advice. I don’t want to get complicated with this mod_rewrite thing too since I just started to learn it 10 days ago. By the way, I saw this:

RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z_-\s]+)/$ /$1.html

What does that _-\s do?

__
    Participant

Adds an underscore (_), dash (-), and whitespace (\s matches any of space, horizontal tab, form feed, newline, carriage return)* to the character class.

* (I don’t see any reason to add \s, however, since whitespace is forbidden in URLs.)

ewisely
    Participant

Hi traq,

Understood. Thank you very very much for your great patience and help. I’ve learned a lot from you. :D

__
    Participant

No problem, glad you’re learning.

ewisely
    Participant

Hi traq,

I’m having problem doing 301 redirects. As I have just changed my site’s url structure from:

mysite.com/q/sleep-rest.htm to mysite.com/sleep-rest/
    mysite.com/q/play-study.htm to mysite.com/play-study/
    and so on…

I need to redirect them all with just a single line of code. So, I do this:

RewriteRule ^q/([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+)\.htm$ /$1/ [R=301,L]
    <code></code>

But I got a “redirect loop” error. What’s wrong with my code? Appreciate your help. Thanks.

__
    Participant

I’m not sure exactly what is causing it, but a “redirect loop” is where you have rewrite rules that create a URL that matches (the same or another) rewrite rule, so the URL is rewritten constantly, without end.

Is that the only rewrite rule you’re using?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

To address your problem, you have a file at (for example):

/q/sleep-rest.htm

and you want to use the following URL to access it:

mysite.com/sleep-rest/

Correct?

RewriteRule ^/([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+)/?$ /q/$1.htm

ewisely
    Participant

Sorry for not being clear.

My site url (under /q/) used to be like that:

mysite.com/q/sleep-rest.htm
    mysite.com/q/play-study.htm
    and so on…

I’ve used RewriteRule ^/([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+)/?$ /q/$1.htm so that when people click on (or type into the browser) mysite.com/sleep-rest/ or mysite.com/sleep-rest, both will retrieve content from mysite.com/q/sleep-rest.htm

However, because this site is pretty old and has quite a number of old urls pointing back from other websites. So, I want to do a permanent redirect of mysite.com/q/sleep-rest.htm to mysite.com/sleep-rest/and likewise for the rest of the urls to avoid creating confusion to my visitors.

Since my files are all under /q/ folder, I’m trying to use a single line of code (RewriteRule ^q/([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+)\.htm$ /$1/ [R=301,L]) to perform the 301 redirect for all old urls but it invokes a redirect loop.

Is it actually possible to work out something like that? Appreciate your help.

__
    Participant

Ahh… so, you’ve got one rule converting from form A→B, and then another converting from form B→A. See the infinite loop?

Instead of trying to match the legacy URL, use a rewrite condition to check against the actual request, so you only rewrite it when needed:

RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} /q/([\w-]+)\.htm
    RewriteRule ^.*$ /%1 [R=301]

# follow with other rules as normal
    RewriteRule ^([\w-]+)/?$ /q/$1.htm

ewisely
    Participant

The code works like magic!!

RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} /q/([\w-]+)\.htm
      RewriteRule ^.*$ /%1 [R=301]

But could you explain a little more about what the code does, so that I can learn how to use %{THE_REQUEST}, \w- and /%1 which look totally Greek to me. Thank you very much. :)

__
    Participant

%{THE_REQUEST} is an Apache variable. Its value is the actual request line* from the HTTP request, unchanged by any rewrites (which is the reason it does not cause a redirect loop).

* for example:

GET /index.html HTTP/1.1

\w- is actually - (a dash) and \w (a “word” character; meaning alphanumerics or an underscore). Put together, [\w-] is just a shorter, more succinct way to write [a-zA-Z0-9_-].

%1 is a numbered backreference, just like $1 would be. The difference is that % backreferences refer to capture groups in RewriteConds, while $ backreferences refer to capture groups in RewriteRules.

ewisely
    Participant

Thanks for your clear explanation and reference. I really appreciate your passion in helping people like me. Thank you very very much. Have a nice day every day. :)

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.