Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other How to make PHP "if" code to display:none if a featured image is not set

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Konspaul
    Participant

This site https://jaanavuola.com/portfolio/ is very dependent of a featured image set on posts and pages. The featured image is set in function.php file with this code

// Add featured image on single post
    add_action( 'genesis_before_content', 'jaana_featured_image', 1 );
    function jaana_featured_image() {

$thumb = wp_get_attachment_image_src( get_post_thumbnail_id($post->ID), 'full' );

?>

<?php

}

Everything is fine as long as the post/page HAS a featured image. But if it doesn’t then the page looks like this https://jaanavuola.com/oma-tili/ It takes the big space for the featured image and leaves it as an empty gray space.

I’m asking your help to make a PHP if statement something like this:

if

/* The div which is showing a featured image */
    .featured-images-in-posts

is

/* CSS generated code when the PHP is not finding a featured image */
    background-image: url((unknown));

make the

.featured-images-in-posts {
      display: none
    }

Is this possible?

Atelierbram
    Participant

Would it be possible for you to edit the single.php file, or the one with the .featured-images-in-posts div, and wrap that div within a conditional tag (checking if the thumbnail is set), something like:

<?php if(has_post_thumbnail()): ?><?php endif; ?> 

Where the featured-image-in-posts div will be before the endif (can’t format this over here, sorry)

Konspaul
    Participant

Thanks for your help.

This was actually solved simply by adding an if statement to the php like so:

<?php
    // Add featured image on single post
    add_action( 'genesis_before_content', 'jaana_featured_image', 1 );
    function jaana_featured_image() {

$thumb = wp_get_attachment_image_src( get_post_thumbnail_id($post->ID), 'full' );

if ($thumb):

?>

<?php

else:

?>

<?php

endif;

}
    ?>

Atelierbram
    Participant

Using frameworks for WordPress makes these things a bit harder, for me in my mind that is, because it adds this extra layer of abstraction. So ISO editing a template file, one is filtering functions in functions.php, … a matter of preference?

First checking if something is “set” with a conditional statement before applying some code seems to be the sensible way to prevent unnecessary output.

Konspaul
    Participant

Yes. WordPress adds extra “layer”. For me this was very hard in the beginning when I just started developing WordPress themes after regular HTML/CSS pages where things are very straight forward.

I prefer keep all my small edits in function.php file. Makes things more easy than separate code in template files. Template files works better on other scenarios.

Atelierbram
    Participant

Misunderstanding; I referred to the Genesis framework (but there are more of them) you are using: do you really need it?

Konspaul
    Participant

Genesis? Yes. It is best thing in WordPress. Very solid framework and child theme editing is extremely easy.

Atelierbram
    Participant

Have different experiences myself, and would never recommend it to beginners in HTML/CSS/PHP. For I think then they will be learning how to use “the framework” while skipping on learning the basics, and getting in trouble later on …

But as they say: to each their own ;\

braddalton
    Participant

You could also use genesis_get_image as this is the function for featured images in Genesis.

Then you can add a if statement, ternary or filter to control the output when the featured image is not added.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.